ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Alternate for ILR / BRP Card

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pangsjil
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Alternate for ILR / BRP Card

Post by pangsjil » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:13 pm

Hi,

ILR BRP card expiring in Feb 2024. Applied for renewal already but as we know it takes up to 6 months to receive new card. Meanwhile, trying for a job and employers are specific about the expiry date of the card. Technically it is only the card expiring but not the PR status. But they don't consider still.

Is this the case? Or any other ways to prove PR validity for employment purposes?

On a different note, if i need to travel out of country while waiting for the new card. Can i apply for one time visa / temp visa without impacting the current renewal application?

Regards
Pangs

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Alternate for ILR / BRP Card

Post by zimba » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:44 pm

Since April 2022, physical BRP cards are NOT an acceptable form of proof of right to work in the UK. People use their BRP to get a share code to prove their right to work. Alternatively, an employer must accept a Positive Verification Notice (PVN) obtained via ECS: https://www.gov.uk/employee-immigration ... ent-status

You may apply for a replacement BRP visa from outside the UK but that can take weeks too. Just be aware.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

pangsjil
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by pangsjil » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:15 pm

Great, thanks. That sorts for RTW.

So it is not advisable to travel abroad while BRP Card renewal in progress? Or can we take any approvals upfront before travelling outside country as technically i'm a Permanent Resident of UK.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:17 pm

pangsjil wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:15 pm

So it is not advisable to travel abroad while BRP Card renewal in progress? Or can we take any approvals upfront before travelling outside country as technically i'm a Permanent Resident of UK.
BRP renewal is not an immigration application, you can travel with current dated BRP until it expires.
Whilst technically you are right convincing a carrier that you are a UK resident without a valid card is a different story - it's likely they will deny boarding without an in-date BRP.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:11 pm

pangsjil wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:15 pm

Travel is not an issue as a valid BRP lets you board the plane to the UK without issues, any other issue will be sorted at the border.
BRP will be phased out soon anyway: Information on eVisas as all BPRs will be phased out from 1st Jan 2025
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

pangsjil
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by pangsjil » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:04 am

Thanks. I should have made it clear. My bad.

My BRP card expiring in Feb 2024. Already applied (Jan 2024) for renewal and it might take up to 6 months. So worst case lets say i get my new card only in July 2024.

So, If i need to travel out of country lets say in Apr 2024 for a month and return to UK. Can we get any approvals / one time exceptions or something else to make this travel possible?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:16 am

pangsjil wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:04 am
Can we get any approvals / one time exceptions or something else to make this travel possible?
Not really, no.

Technically, you can leave the country and apply for a replacement visa. But it might take another 6 months or more before you can return to UK.
If your passport allows you to travel without visa to UK, it's sorted as well then - just show your document to the airline to get on a plane.

But let's hope you'll get your BRP before April.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

pangsjil
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by pangsjil » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:59 am

Thanks a lot.

It is ridiculous though to unable to travel outside country just because the BRP Card is expired. They should have some provision for this as we got the permanent resident status.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:49 am

They have some provisions to scrap BRPs altogether, so your new card will be valid for less than a year.
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... rt-problem
You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025. You’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

pangsjil
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by pangsjil » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:18 pm

Yeah thats the other pain. Renew the card for just 6 months.

Sadia786

Post by Sadia786 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:27 pm

I am in the same boat. Booked everything for April & lost BRP. Got an appointment in the end of Jan.
If you got ur BRP let me know how long it took.

Sadia786

Post by Sadia786 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:42 pm

pangsjil wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:59 am
Thanks a lot.

It is ridiculous though to unable to travel outside country just because the BRP Card is expired. They should have some provision for this as we got the permanent resident status.
Did you get any response back??

pangsjil
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by pangsjil » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:46 pm

Applied on 03-Jan and waiting. Will let you know once i receive BRP.

Not expecting until 1st of Jul (Assuming worst case of 6 months)

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:49 pm

These posts usually are mixed with members discussing BRP renewals due to expiration but also others who lost it.

I just want to take the opportunity to say that it is not required at all to carry a BRP card with us while in the country. Many people keep their cards in their pockets - purses or wallets - thinking that they must have it all the time or using it as an ID proof. A couple of colleagues have recently lost their BRPs in this way.

We can for example, apply for a provisional driving licence which is a completely valid photo ID proof. It is way cheaper than replacing a lost BRP and is delivered in a few days.

The BRP cards should be kept in a secure place together with other important documents at home or elsewhere. At least until 31 Dec 2024 when they will be phased out.

Sadia786

Post by Sadia786 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:10 pm

pangsjil wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:46 pm
Applied on 03-Jan and waiting. Will let you know once i receive BRP.

Not expecting until 1st of Jul (Assuming worst case of 6 months)
I attended my biometrics appointment today in Peterborough.
Finger crossed.
A lot of people are getting their BRP within 6 weeks after biometrics so hope for good.