ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leave to remain for partner issued for 7 months instead of 30

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ukspouse13
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Leave to remain for partner issued for 7 months instead of 30

Post by ukspouse13 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:02 pm

Hi there

This is my first post. Thanks for any help!

My spouse recently applied to extend her UK spouse visa. We got a positive decision, but she was granted leave to remain for only 7 months instead of the usual 30 months. There was no reason given on the decision letter. She meets all the relevant criteria to get the visa.

Is anyone aware of any reasons for this kind of decision, where the period is shorter than expected?

We are planning to apply for administrative review. Any advice on what to say in that would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

secret.simon

Re: Leave to remain for partner issued for 7 months instead of 30

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:24 pm

What is your immigration status/status of the main applicant on whom the spouse is dependent?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 pm

ukspouse13 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:02 pm
Hi there

My spouse recently applied to extend her UK spouse visa. We got a positive decision, but she was granted leave to remain for only 7 months instead of the usual 30 months. There was no reason given on the decision letter. She meets all the relevant criteria to get the visa.

Is anyone aware of any reasons for this kind of decision, where the period is shorter than expected?

We are planning to apply for administrative review. Any advice on what to say in that would be gratefully received.

Thanks.
Details that can facilitate the depth of response are missing.
Would you want to highlight the background or immigration history?
Where and when was initial spouse applied for and granted?
If applicable, When did your spouse enter UK?
When was application for extension and till when was it granted?

777GE90
United Kingdom

Post by 777GE90 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:52 pm

ukspouse13 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:02 pm
Hi there

Thanks.
Is it definitely your visa that is 7 months or just your BRP? Since I think BRP's are not being issued for full duration anymore due to them being phased out.

ukspouse13
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ukspouse13 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:34 am

My immigration status is UK citizen from birth. It's definitely that the visa is 7 months. BRPs are being phased out on 31st December 2024, but the status should be for 2.5 years (not 7 months).

We filed a complaint with the home office, and they have extended the visa to 2.5 years. They gave no reason for the original decision, but it seems likely it was simply a mistake on their part. So frustrating and unnecessarily stressful.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:09 pm

ukspouse13 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:34 am
My immigration status is UK citizen from birth. It's definitely that the visa is 7 months. BRPs are being phased out on 31st December 2024, but the status should be for 2.5 years (not 7 months).

We filed a complaint with the home office, and they have extended the visa to 2.5 years. They gave no reason for the original decision, but it seems likely it was simply a mistake on their part. So frustrating and unnecessarily stressful.
Thanks for the update.