ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Redundancy and 60 days curtailment period

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bhan17
Newly Registered
India

Redundancy and 60 days curtailment period

Post by bhan17 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:16 pm

Hi all,

I am on a Skilled Worker Visa sponsored by my current employer which has an expiry of 31st December 2025. However, I was made redundant and my last day of active employment was 30th November 2023. My notice period was from 1st December - 31st December 2023. I am now on paid garden leave from 1st Jan 2024 to 16th Feb 2024.

Could I please request guidance on:
1. whether my 60 days curtailment period will start on 16th Feb 2024?
2. It is imperative that I travel abroad from 4th Feb 2024 to 19th Feb 2024. Would I be allowed to re-enter the UK on 19th Feb? As it is only 3 days after my last day of garden leave I am wondering how big a risk is this.
3. I have read on several forums that I might be stopped for questioning at Immigration. Is there a government website or verified information I can use as backup to show at immigration?

Thank you in advance for your help! :) This matter is really stressing me out! :cry:

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Redundancy and 60 days curtailment period

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:45 pm

Curtailment only starts after you have received the curtailment letter from HO.
If for any reason you are stopped and questioned at PoE, it could be an hassle as the reason for your being in the country is based on work and that is gone. While you may not be prevented from entering If not in process yet it potentially could initiate the curtailment letter process.

Are you seeking other sponsored opportunities already or what plans have you got for yourself?

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:53 pm

1. The curtailment starts from the date given in the letter sent by the Home Office after job termination. It's unpredictable when this letter will be sent.
2. It depends on whether the employer has already informed the HO about stopping your sponsorship by the date of your return.
3. What backup exactly you need? If the employer informed the HO that they are no longer your sponsor, you might face some issues at the passport control and even be denied re-entry to the UK. The border officer will have access to that information and may ask any question they consider pertinent.

bhan17
Newly Registered
India

Post by bhan17 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:36 pm

Thank you for your responses lolo2 and AmazonianX! I appreciate the insights.

I have been actively looking for a job in hopes of securing asponsorship again and I have a few applications in progress. However, I'm afraid I won't secure a job offer in the next few weeks. I can delay my date of departure from the UK, however, the earliest I can come back is on the 18/19th Feb, which is after my last day of garden leave.