ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return passport with paper ILR after citizenship ceremony?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mie
Newly Registered
United States of America

Return passport with paper ILR after citizenship ceremony?

Post by Mie » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:44 am

After 4 months I received my approval letter and have attended the ceremony, thank you to everyone on this board for your help!

I have one last question, in my approval letter under "your previous immigration status" it states that a BRP card should be returned within 5 days and:

"If you have any travel documents issued by the Home Office, including expired documents, they should be returned to the Home Office in the same envelope for official cancellation"

I applied with my old passport and paper ILR vignette from 2002 and never held a BRP, do I need to send in my old passport and ILR to be cancelled?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Return passport with paper ILR after citizenship ceremony?

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:45 am

No, as it's not a BRP but a vignette. Suggest you keep that safely especially if you have children with a claim to Birtish citizenship through your ILR.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:43 am

I agree regarding vignette with the above.

Your passport, is it issued by home office? Did you have a travel document due to being refugee? If not then you don’t need to send your passport.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:26 am

MuhammadM86 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:43 am

Your passport, is it issued by home office? Did you have a travel document due to being refugee? If not then you don’t need to send your passport.
I'm sure you can see that the OP's flag is American. Not sure you'd find many American refugees. In the early 2000's and before, the ILR was the green vignette attached to the passport. BRP's where fully implemented in 2015 or so.

Prior to that (Segue), spouse visa's LTE was vignette's for 2.5 years.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:01 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:26 am
MuhammadM86 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:43 am

I'm sure you can see that the OP's flag is American. Not sure you'd find many American refugees. In the early 2000's and before, the ILR was the green vignette attached to the passport. BRP's where fully implemented in 2015 or so.

Prior to that (Segue), spouse visa's LTE was vignette's for 2.5 years.
I thought flags don’t represent where people are from. Nonetheless, my aim was to assist, but thanks for the information

Mie
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Mie » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:16 pm

Hi, thanks for you responses. I'm from the US and not a refugee but I was confused as to whether a paper ILR fit under the definition of a "travel document". It sounds like it will be ok to not send it in.

In the passport application guidelines it says to send in the "passport you used to enter the UK", does this mean I need to send in both my current uncancelled US passport and my expired passport from 2002 which I initially moved to the UK with?

Also, if I use a retired referee/countersignatory does their British passport have to be unexpired?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:06 pm

Mie wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:16 pm
Hi, thanks for you responses. I'm from the US and not a refugee but I was confused as to whether a paper ILR fit under the definition of a "travel document". It sounds like it will be ok to not send it in.

In the passport application guidelines it says to send in the "passport you used to enter the UK", does this mean I need to send in both my current uncancelled US passport and my expired passport from 2002 which I initially moved to the UK with? You need to send in all your current passport and the passport you used to enter the UK, I would send both.

Also, if I use a retired referee/countersignatory does their British passport have to be unexpired? Probably best for the referee's passport to be current.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.