ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport Application overseas and COE - Right To abode.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Aadi_Yash
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

British Passport Application overseas and COE - Right To abode.

Post by Aadi_Yash » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Hi All

I came across this forum and looking for guidance and advice in relation to following situation and query -

1) I have applied for 1st British Passport Application for my baby born in India in September 2023 to an Indian Mother ( currently on dependant visa) and British Father ( By naturalisation). Application is still in progress and awaiting Security interview. Interview is scheduled for 1st Feb 2024.

2) Mother is in India with Baby awaiting british passport but her entry vignette is expiring on 6th Feb 2024 and we may not be able to get British passport of baby before that.

3) As baby is born with indian nationality and British nationality by default and can keep both Indian passport and British passport , until turn 18.

4) Can some one please advise , if it is good idea or possible to make a seperate application for COE - right to abode for baby on Indian passport now while waiting for British passport using recently introduced super priority visa service with 1 day SLA, so that mother and son can travel together before mother vignette expires ?

Thank you .

Yash S

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Passport Application overseas and COE - Right To abode.

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:36 pm

COE-ROA is not a visa, so it wouldn't come under "super priority" - the gov.uk website says "up to 3 weeks" - not aware of super priority.
https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply ... ntitlement
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Aadi_Yash
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Aadi_Yash » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:42 pm

Thank you . Can you please advise if it is possible to apply for COE - Right to abode, while having childs 1st british passport application still in progess?

In guideline it states that you cannot have both COE and British passport same time, but in my case British passport still have not been issued.

Please advise

Thank you

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:45 pm

Aadi_Yash wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:42 pm
Thank you . Can you please advise if it is possible to apply for COE - Right to abode, while having childs 1st british passport application still in progess?

In guideline it states that you cannot have both COE and British passport same time, but in my case British passport still have not been issued.

Please advise

Thank you
The guidance already tells you as it is. Not sure what you want us to say. The same people process both and would know you can't have both (applications simultaneously).

Also and most importantly, even the RoA could take many months to be processed.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

BashirB
United Kingdom

Post by BashirB » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:01 pm

RoA from India takes longer than Passport application.

The officers not only have to check the applicants right to nationality but also verify that a British passport has not been issued.

Have you considered applying for am emergency travel document? A birth of child is an accepted "emergency" if you think you will not get the passport on time for travel before your wife's leave to enter expires.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:07 pm

BashirB wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:01 pm
RoA from India takes longer than Passport application.

The officers not only have to check the applicants right to nationality but also verify that a British passport has not been issued.

Have you considered applying for am emergency travel document? A birth of child is an accepted "emergency" if you think you will not get the passport on time for travel before your wife's leave to enter expires.
To get an emergency travel passport you must have had a BP already not the case here.... https://www.gov.uk/travel-urgently-from ... k-passport
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

BashirB
United Kingdom

Post by BashirB » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:40 pm

Yes, they don't give emergency travel document but birth or child is an accepted reason, especially since the mothers leave can expire while waiting for the first passport.

I personally know those who have given birth in India and travelled on a travel document, although it was within a month of birth - not sure how long OP has left it for. Having said that, it is at discretion of the High Commission, as what is considered exceptional for one is normal for another. At most, OP will lose the fees paid.

I would call the High Commission and ask them what to apply for and explain the time constraints. Don't know about other cities, but the chaps in Mumbai are (or were when I was there) very helpful.