ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying for ILR as a sole parent

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Reds123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

applying for ILR as a sole parent

Post by Reds123 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:47 pm

having to apply for an ILR as a sole parent . The father lives in another country and does not share any of the responsibility for the children except occasional contact with children He has not seen the children in last 4 years .I have court judgement for children to live with me in the UK , father has visiting rights and cannot take the children out of UK. What are the chances of me being able to apply for their ILR and having a successful outcome ?What happens otherwise ?

secret.simon

Re: applying for ILR as a sole parent

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:14 pm

What visas are your child and you currently on?

Also have you looked through the Sole responsibility post? That may give you some idea of what the requirements on that front are.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: applying for ILR as a sole parent

Post by zimba » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 pm

There are specific factors that will be considered in assessing sole responsibility:

•Whether the parents are married/in a civil partnership
•If the marriage/civil partnership is dissolved – which parent was awarded legal custody
•If the sponsoring parent has migrated to the UK – how long have they been separated from the child and what relationship they have with the child
•If the sponsoring parent has migrated to the UK, the nature of the child’s care arrangements before and after they migrated
•Who bears the child’s maintenance costs and at what proportion
•Who makes the important decisions about the child’s upbringing, for example, where the child lives, which school they attend, etc

Check out the 'Sole parental responsibility' section in this guide: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... tances.pdf
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice