ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year long-term Standard Visitor visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lilspa
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

10 year long-term Standard Visitor visa

Post by lilspa » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:16 pm

Hi,

I'm applying for my parents visit visa and is in two minds if to apply for a 6 month visit visa or a 10 year visit visa. I'll be very grateful for any advices here please. I've put the application situation as explained as possible but if anything isn't clear, please feel free to ask. Thanks in advance for your time

Background:
My parents have been to UK in 2018 on a 6 month visit visa to attend my wife's graduation ceremony. They stayed for couple of months and returned on the date they mentioned in their application. During the time of this application, me and missus, we were staying in a rental property and didn't had much savings in our bank accounts (around three thousand pounds combined in ours) as well as our parents accounts (around 2 lakh INR / 2000GBP), thank goodness they both got their visas and we all had an amazing time together.

Current scenario:
We are in the final stage of buying our first home and is very much looking forward to spend some quality time together in our new home. My dad is 76 and mum is 70 and I am very much thinking of the option of applying for a 10 year standard visitor visa considering they'll be visiting us once or twice a year going forward now that we will have a place of our own that could easily accommodate them and to not to both about visa for both parties. It would make life a lot easier having that flexibility.

Financial situation and ties in India:
They together have a matured balance of 40 lakh INR (40,000 GBP) in their joint savings account as fixed deposit from which they receive monthly earnings in the form of interest. My parents also has multiple apartments on top of their residence from which they receive rental income every month to their joint bank account (I've advised my dad to make sure the tenants put transaction reference correctly to make it easier for Immigration Officer to verify this when they validate the bank statements). The also have the said property under their name which is also their main residence. Moreover, my parents have their friends, majority of the family including my sister and their grandkids living close to them in India.

The most duration they would stay at any given visit will be around one-two months but I am concerned if there are any more means to convey this to the immigration as I've read online about 10 year visit visas getting rejected quite often just because the applicants have none or only one or few travel history to UK. Only reason we thinking of applying for a 10 year visit visa is for them to not worry about visa anytime they like to visit us. Any advises, please please shoot

I also have a few specific queries

1. How does it work with the minimum passport validity requirement when it comes to 10 year visas? My dad's passport expires end of next year and mum's passport expired around end of 2031.
2. Me and my partner we together have some savings (around £50,000). How can we use this to support their application? Would it be recommended to use us as their primary sponsor since they'll be staying with us or will it be better if they present themselves as self sponsored with us as the second sponsor? (we are a close knitted family and we genuinely don't mind who is booking the tickets though it'll be most probably us in most cases, just that we also understands immigration has their own way or scrutinising things and we would like to present the application in the best way possible)

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: 10 year long-term Standard Visitor visa

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:46 pm

They can apply for a ten year visit but the Home Office will determine what period they are prepared to grant.
The circumstances you have set out are very positive and if presented properly I believe they will be offered an extended visit visa for 2 or 5 years. I think it is unlikely that a 10 year visa will be granted.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:36 am

Frontier Mole wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:46 pm
They can apply for a ten year visit but the Home Office will determine what period they are prepared to grant.
The circumstances you have set out are very positive and if presented properly I believe they will be offered an extended visit visa for 2 or 5 years. I think it is unlikely that a 10 year visa will be granted.
I don't believe it works quite like that. The HO determines if they want to grant the visa or not. But what they don't do, is determine what amount/length of years they "feel" like giving you.

You get what you pay for. If you paid £963 for 10 years visa, they're not going to decide to give you £400 value visa for 2 years. That's daylight robbery. Not sure they're in the habit of doing that. I personally have never seen that happen. I'll be happy if you can point out a case study.

Truth be said, there are times when they make errors whilst issuing the visa. But this is quickly rectified when complaints are made.

I think OP should apply for a 2 year visa first. It can be stepped up at the very next application.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

lilspa
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lilspa » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:27 am

Frontier Mole wrote:
Thank you, I'm in two minds whether to gamble or not. On one side, it would be brilliant for them to have that freedom to visit us whenever they wish but on the other side in case of a rejection, that would cause unnecessary trouble when it comes to future applications. Decisions....decisions!!!

lilspa
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lilspa » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:30 am

Ticktack wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:36 am
Frontier Mole wrote:
I don't believe it works quite like that. The HO determines if they want to grant the visa or not. But what they don't do, is determine what amount/length of years they "feel" like giving you.

You get what you pay for. If you paid £963 for 10 years visa, they're not going to decide to give you £400 value visa for 2 years. That's daylight robbery. Not sure they're in the habit of doing that. I personally have never seen that happen. I'll be happy if you can point out a case study.

Truth be said, there are times when they make errors whilst issuing the visa. But this is quickly rectified when complaints are made.

I think OP should apply for a 2 year visa first. It can be stepped up at the very next application.
Thank you Ticktack, will keep this advice in mind.

Here's what it says on their website about HO giving a shorter visa despite applying and paying for a longer duration visa - "You may be given a shorter visa than requested if UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) believe you cannot meet the eligibility requirements for the duration of the visa you applied for. You will not get a refund of the application fee if you get a shorter visa or if your application is refused."

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:22 pm

I've always believed in building trust with the HO. Progressing from 6 months, to 2 years and then jumping to 5 years or 10 years. This way you build a great foundation. I have seen someone start with 2 years visa. I felt it was a gamble, but it worked.

I have never seen applying for a particular amount of years and then it gets cut down. No doubt, it's in the rules, but for that to be enforced a variety of things would have to take place "in my opinion".

Example would be a 13 years old child applying for 10 years visa. The HO knows that once the child is 18, he/she needs to prove that they deserve or can afford to be in the UK. So they might issue a 5 year visa. This takes the child to that mark where he/she then becomes responsible for themselves.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:51 pm

Long-term Standard Visitor visas
You can choose to apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa if you visit the UK regularly. This visa lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit.

If you’re under 18 years old when you apply, your long-term Standard Visitor visa will only be valid for up to 6 months after you turn 18. You cannot get a refund on the fee.

You may be given a shorter visa than requested if UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) believe you cannot meet the eligibility requirements for the duration of the visa you applied for.

You will not get a refund of the application fee if you get a shorter visa or if your application is refused.

Your visa may be cancelled if your travel history shows you are repeatedly living in the UK for extended periods.

bestestcase
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by bestestcase » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:52 pm

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:56 pm

@Ticktak

As per above it is very much like that - the above clearly sets it out and is taken from the Home Office web site. It is also replicated in the caseworker guidance too.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:01 pm

Every case is different, while the OP was successful by no means is this the norm. There is an immediate difference in circumstances- this case had two previous visits. There is also no disclosure on the financial circumstances and general info backing the application.

One persons success does not lend itself easily to another’s application.

Given the circumstances I think it is worth going for the 5 year visa.

lilspa
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lilspa » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:25 pm

Thank you all for the valuable input. In the end, we decided to go for another 6 month visa and then to go for a 10 year application at the time parents plan their next visit, most probably next year. Thanks again for the the advises and wish you all a a top weekend :))