ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

council or HO fault?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

clawsie
Newly Registered

council or HO fault?

Post by clawsie » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:00 pm

Got my naturalisation approval on 8/1, contacted the council but they had not received my citizenship certificate yet.
Fast forward to today: after enquiring with HO, they said my certificate was sent to Council on 5/1!!!
So either council has lost it, or HO has lied.
What to do now? Would HO issue a duplicate?
Anyone been thru something similar? I have my MPs team on the case as well.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: council or HO fault?

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:16 pm

Does the council have your certificate now? You have 90 days to attend the ceremony so there might be the possibility they track it down and you can attend the ceremony. Suggest you tell HO the council denies having the certificate and urge them to chase. Suggest also raising a complaint.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

clawsie
Newly Registered

Post by clawsie » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:22 pm

Hi,
No, council hasn't got it. Someone from HO is chasing them for me. They've been quite helpful so far.
If it isn't found at the council, do you think HO could issue a duplicate?
Do you have an email address who to complain to, please?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:29 pm

I wouldn't know about that, you'd need to ask the HO. It could have been somehow lost in transport. The complaints procedure is outlined here https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... -procedure
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:01 pm

Worth checking with the Home Office which council the certificate was sent to.

We had an issue a few years ago where the certificate should have been sent to a council in London, but was instead sent to a similarly named council in Wales.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

clawsie
Newly Registered

Post by clawsie » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:10 pm

OMG really? What happened then? Did the Welsh council return the cert, or did HO issue a duplicate?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:30 pm

clawsie wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:10 pm
OMG really? What happened then? Did the Welsh council return the cert, or did HO issue a duplicate?
Get In Touch with HO to ask your questions/clarify first lest you become bogged down by what does not apply to your situation.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:26 am

I have just compiled a guide of steps to take if there are issues with applications - here it is:

british-citizenship/6-months-plus-waiti ... 43483.html

Definitely raise a complaint and ask them what council was it sent to, and if it's not resolved, keep escalating.

clawsie
Newly Registered

Post by clawsie » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:34 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:30 pm
clawsie wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:10 pm
Get In Touch with HO to ask your questions/clarify first lest you become bogged down by what does not apply to your situation.
I have, and with MP as well. Just curious, that's all. No need for judgement.

clawsie
Newly Registered

Post by clawsie » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:36 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:26 am
I have just compiled a guide of steps to take if there are issues with applications - here it is:

british-citizenship/6-months-plus-waiti ... 43483.html

Definitely raise a complaint and ask them what council was it sent to, and if it's not resolved, keep escalating.
I now have 2 people looking into it, one from HO the other from MPs team. Wonder how long to give them before making a complaint.
It was sent to the correct council on 5 January, so I guess lost in the post.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:40 am

I'd give them a week, if it's been established it was lost in transport you can ask HO to issue a duplicate and give you 90 days from when the council receives the new certificate to attend. I would suggest you say this to them, if you haven't already, and in 7-10 days you lodge a complaint if they don't reassure you a new certificate is being sent. Quite upsetting it has taken a month already without this being picked up and resolved.

clawsie
Newly Registered

Post by clawsie » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:28 pm

Exactly this, v. upsetting & stressful esp. after waiting 9 months for approval! Sometimes I wish I hadn't bothered :roll:
I'll do exactly what you suggest, wait a week then complain/escalate.
Also thank you very much for compiling the 6 months+ guide, very helpful :)

clawsie
Newly Registered

Post by clawsie » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:07 pm

Breaking news: Council has now found my certificate, and ceremony booked for end of Feb! YAY!!!! :D :D

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:31 pm

Congratulations!!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:49 pm

clawsie wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:07 pm
Breaking news: Council has now found my certificate, and ceremony booked for end of Feb! YAY!!!! :D :D
Congratulations