ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions on AN and MN1 forms

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Questions on AN and MN1 forms

Post by nuaaxiayu » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:34 pm

Dear Forum,

I am now preparing two naturalization applications via online AN forms for my partner and myself, and also applying to register our child as a British citizen using the online MN1 form. We have some questions when filling these forms (2 ANs + 1 MN1), so please help us.

(a) Adult Naturalization AN form for myself (via the 5 year route and have had 1 year ILR):

Q1.
I used to have 4-5 parking charges issued to me more than 4 years ago. All of them occurred within 2 years, but two of them happened within 3 days. The issuing body included local councils and private parking companies, and I paid all the fines in time. Do I need to declare these parking charges as my driving penalties in my AN form? I do not remember if these parking charges were PCNs or not, but the police was never involved.

The AN form only asks "You must tell us about fixed penalty notices (e.g. a speeding or parking ticket) if you've received three or more.", so I am not sure if I need to declare my above parking charges.

Q2.
Regarding my English language requirement, there is a question asking "Have you provided evidence of your English language ability in a previous application?" I did not provide such evidence during my recent ILR application. I used to hold a Tier-2 skilled worker visa, does it mean I should answer "yes" to this question?

Q3.
Again about my English requirement, another question asks: "Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013?" Since I did not provide any English language evidence during my recent ILR application (as I remember I did when I applied for Tier-2), how should I answer this AN question?

Q4.
Regarding my Referees, I have found two referees, both of them are professionals and British Citizens. However, neither of them are chartered engineers, nor on the list of the HO-approved professions. One of them is a telecom engineer and only holds a UK master engineering degree, and the other is a project manager in a publishing company. Would they still qualify to be my referees? My partner would also like to have the same referees for their AN application too.

(b) Adult Naturalization AN form for my partner (via the 5 year route and have had 1 year ILR):

Q5.
My partner provided her English language evidence during their recent ILR application, and now they are asked to provide it again. Sure we can do it by providing the same evidence, but my partner is not asked the above questions Q2 and Q3, so I am not sure why our AN forms ask us slightly different questions.

My partner used to be my Tier-2 dependent before getting their own ILR. For our naturalization applications, I am the main applicant, and added my partner as a spouse over 18 along with my application. My partner has their own AN form filled.

Q6.
Regarding my partner's parents' information, should their "Town of Birth" be consistent with their passports? Their passports only show their birth of province, not as detailed as towns.

And do we need to provide our parents' passports for our AN applications?

(c) MN1 for our child registration (born outside of UK and has had 1 year ILR)

Q7.
Our child was born abroad and only had a foreign birth certificate. We translated this birth certificate to English using a translator not based in the UK. Do we still need to certify this foreign birth certificate in the UK in order to use it for this MN1 application?

These are all the questions we currently have. Thank you very much in advance.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Questions on AN and MN1 forms

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:42 pm

nuaaxiayu wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:34 pm
Dear Forum,

I am now preparing two naturalization applications via online AN forms for my partner and myself, and also applying to register our child as a British citizen using the online MN1 form. We have some questions when filling these forms (2 ANs + 1 MN1), so please help us.

(a) Adult Naturalization AN form for myself (via the 5 year route and have had 1 year ILR):

Q1.
I used to have 4-5 parking charges issued to me more than 4 years ago. All of them occurred within 2 years, but two of them happened within 3 days. The issuing body included local councils and private parking companies, and I paid all the fines in time. Do I need to declare these parking charges as my driving penalties in my AN form? I do not remember if these parking charges were PCNs or not, but the police was never involved. If they are PCNs no need to declare them. Worth looking into it if you can recover records, but only fixed penalty notices matter. a parking charge isn't the same as a parking ticket I don't think.

The AN form only asks "You must tell us about fixed penalty notices (e.g. a speeding or parking ticket) if you've received three or more.", so I am not sure if I need to declare my above parking charges.

Q2.
Regarding my English language requirement, there is a question asking "Have you provided evidence of your English language ability in a previous application?" I did not provide such evidence during my recent ILR application. I used to hold a Tier-2 skilled worker visa, does it mean I should answer "yes" to this question?
Did you take the B1 exam, or have a degree from a UK university? If you do and have provided it for the Tier 2 visa, answer yes and provide URN/certificate/degree certificate. If not, answer no.
Q3.
Again about my English requirement, another question asks: "Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013?" Since I did not provide any English language evidence during my recent ILR application (as I remember I did when I applied for Tier-2), how should I answer this AN question? Answer no.

Q4.
Regarding my Referees, I have found two referees, both of them are professionals and British Citizens. However, neither of them are chartered engineers, nor on the list of the HO-approved professions. One of them is a telecom engineer and only holds a UK master engineering degree, and the other is a project manager in a publishing company. Would they still qualify to be my referees? My partner would also like to have the same referees for their AN application too. They have to be on the profession lists to count as professionals. Degree doesn't mean they are "qualified professionals", they need to belong to a chartered body, according to the HO.

(b) Adult Naturalization AN form for my partner (via the 5 year route and have had 1 year ILR):

Q5.
My partner provided her English language evidence during their recent ILR application, and now they are asked to provide it again. Sure we can do it by providing the same evidence, but my partner is not asked the above questions Q2 and Q3, so I am not sure why our AN forms ask us slightly different questions. If they provided it for ILR, no need to ask further questions. Just provide the URN/certificate details.

My partner used to be my Tier-2 dependent before getting their own ILR. For our naturalization applications, I am the main applicant, and added my partner as a spouse over 18 along with my application. My partner has their own AN form filled.

Q6.
Regarding my partner's parents' information, should their "Town of Birth" be consistent with their passports? Their passports only show their birth of province, not as detailed as towns. Unlikely they will check, declare it consistent with passports just in case.

And do we need to provide our parents' passports for our AN applications? No, unless you are claiming British citizenship by descent.

Q7.
Our child was born abroad and only had a foreign birth certificate. We translated this birth certificate to English using a translator not based in the UK. Do we still need to certify this foreign birth certificate in the UK in order to use it for this MN1 application?

All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:45 pm

Dear contorted_svy,

Thank you for your prompt reply and answers, much appreciated! Regarding Q4, our referees, it is difficult to find HO approved professionals who have known us for more than 3 years, so if we continue to submit our current referees, would HO contact us to change referees later on?

If convenient, could you please also answer our question Q7 regarding if we need to certify the translation of our child's foreign birth certificate in the UK? We used the same translation for our child's UK ILR application and had no issues.

Thank you again.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:19 pm

It is not easy to find suitable referees, many applicants have an issue with it. HO would contact you to find another referee if necessary, but I would try to look harder in the first instance as it's for both of you.
Re: Q7 I am not entirely sure, if it was accepted for ILR it should be ok.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:57 am

Hello contorted_svy,

Thank you so much again for your feedback! Regarding the appropriate referees, do you think if I could ask my line manager and/or Human Resource manager of my company to be my referee?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:10 am

They have to be on the list provided by the home office, if your line manager or another colleague is chartered that will work.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:33 am

Dear contorted_svy,

Thank you again, according to HO guide on approved professions:

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passp ... ignatories ,

it says "director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company" are approved professions for being a referee, does it mean these professions do not need to be chartered?

My line manager and HR manager are not the top manager of the entire company, would they still qualify for being my referee?

Thank you again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:36 am

it says "director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company" are approved professions for being a referee, does it mean these professions do not need to be chartered?
No.
My line manager and HR manager are not the top manager of the entire company, would they still qualify for being my referee?
You only need ONE professional referee. I would go with the HR Manager for your professional referee provided they have known you for at least 3 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:39 am

Dear CR001,

Thank you very much, by the way, I also have another question about my "occupation" as asked by the AN form, should I put the closest job description in my opinion here, or just my job title?

When I was holding Tier-2 visa in the same company, my COS code described my job using one job category code provided by HO, should I use the same code for this AN occupation question, or should I use an occupation that I believe best describes my job?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:53 am

Just your job title. Employment is NOT a requirement for citizenship.

You are overthinking.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:06 pm

Hello everyone,

We just have a few more questions regarding our AN and MN1 form filling:

(1) When answering the referees' occupations, should we also add their companies' names?

(2) When answering our travel outside UK, should we include the stops in foreign countries when we had flight connections? We stayed within the airport of these countries before heading to our final destination countries for our travel.

(3) I am working from home and do not have a working address, so when I am answering the address of my employer, should I use their registered UK office address found on the company house website? My company has multiple offices across the UK, and the closest office to me has a different address as their registered UK address.

(4) When providing 5-year UK residence evidence, we are providing the following documents:

Current and previous stamped foreign passports

UK Council tax bills

UK Police registration certificate

Are the above residence evidence sufficient or do we need to add/remove any of them?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:14 pm

(1) When answering the referees' occupations, should we also add their companies' names?
No.
(2) When answering our travel outside UK, should we include the stops in foreign countries when we had flight connections? We stayed within the airport of these countries before heading to our final destination countries for our travel.
No.
(3) I am working from home and do not have a working address, so when I am answering the address of my employer, should I use their registered UK office address found on the company house website? My company has multiple offices across the UK, and the closest office to me has a different address as their registered UK address.
What address does the contract of employment and payslip say? Registered address likely fine.
(4) When providing 5-year UK residence evidence, we are providing the following documents:

UK Council tax bills

Are the above residence evidence sufficient or do we need to add/remove any of them?
You only need the passports!! None of the other documents are required
Char (CR001 not Casa)

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:01 pm

nuaaxiayu wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:06 pm
Hello everyone,

We just have a few more questions regarding our AN and MN1 form filling:

(2) When answering our travel outside UK, should we include the stops in foreign countries when we had flight connections? We stayed within the airport of these countries before heading to our final destination countries for our travel. I have explained this in my cover letter just to be safe.

UK Council tax bills

Thank you.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:13 pm

Dear CR001, contorted_svy,

Thank you both for your prompt replies, much appreciated!

Regarding our flight connections at foreign airports, we had already explained these when we answered our travel history questions when we applied for ILR. However, in the AN form, there is not enough space to explain these. So is it necessary for us to explain these in a cover letter? If so, is there any template we could use?

Also, we find that my and my spouse's AN forms are slightly different on some questions being asked, would it be an issue? I am the main online applicant and added my spouse as an adult applicant, and both of us are using the adult naturalization category.

Finally, regarding our former UK visa applications made abroad, should we put the British Embassy/General Consulate as the application location, or use the UK Visa application center (via VFS global) in the same city as the application location?

Thank you again.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:54 am

nuaaxiayu wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:13 pm
Dear CR001, contorted_svy,

Thank you both for your prompt replies, much appreciated!

Regarding our flight connections at foreign airports, we had already explained these when we answered our travel history questions when we applied for ILR. However, in the AN form, there is not enough space to explain these. So is it necessary for us to explain these in a cover letter? If so, is there any template we could use? I just wrote "regarding my trip to xxx on this date, I would like to clarify there was a connecting fight in yyy"

Also, we find that my and my spouse's AN forms are slightly different on some questions being asked, would it be an issue? I am the main online applicant and added my spouse as an adult applicant, and both of us are using the adult naturalization category. Not an issue, just answer the questions

Finally, regarding our former UK visa applications made abroad, should we put the British Embassy/General Consulate as the application location, or use the UK Visa application center (via VFS global) in the same city as the application location? I would state where you lived at the time, not where the application was processed

Thank you again.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:00 pm

Hello Forum,

Just a few follow-up questions on our Naturalization application via the AN forms:

(1) We raised an SAR request to HO asking for our previous immigration application information, and got responses from them including the 8-digit case number for each application we made, should we put this 8-digit case number as our "reference number" when filling the AN form answering our previous immigration applications?

(2) We got married a few years ago in UK, and HO updated our marital status in their system and also assigned a case ID to it. Do we need to include our marriage event as an "immigration application" in our AN forms?

(3) We may have to wait for some time before submitting our AN forms, does anyone know how long our filled forms could be stored online before HO automatically deletes them due to inactivity? Or should we regularly sign into the online AN forms to keep them active?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:14 pm

1. it does say “if known” for reference numbers.

2. Getting is NOT an “immigration application”!!

3. You have 10 weeks from last activity to submit before it is deleted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:29 pm

You can log in every 10 weeks (even without submitting) and the online form will store your data.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:44 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:14 pm
1. it does say “if known” for reference numbers.

2. Getting is NOT an “immigration application”!!

3. You have 10 weeks from last activity to submit before it is deleted.
Thank you CR001 and contorted_svy, much appreciated! Regarding my immigration applications, should I only include those made in my own name (i.e., I am the applicant)? Or should I also include those applications made for my family where I was the sponsor, not the applicant?

Thank you again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:51 pm

YOUR applications as the question asks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:22 pm

nuaaxiayu wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:34 pm
Dear Forum,

Q1.
I used to have 4-5 parking charges issued to me more than 4 years ago. All of them occurred within 2 years, but two of them happened within 3 days. The issuing body included local councils and private parking companies, and I paid all the fines in time. Do I need to declare these parking charges as my driving penalties in my AN form? I do not remember if these parking charges were PCNs or not, but the police was never involved.

The AN form only asks "You must tell us about fixed penalty notices (e.g. a speeding or parking ticket) if you've received three or more.", so I am not sure if I need to declare my above parking charges. Contact the councils that issued them and clarify. If they are PCNs and immediately paid them no need to declare them.

Q2.

If you ever took an English language exam for an immigration application answer YES. if not answer NO

Q3.
Again about my English requirement, another question asks: "Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013?" Since I did not provide any English language evidence during my recent ILR application (as I remember I did when I applied for Tier-2), how should I answer this AN question? Answer NO

Q4.
Regarding my Referees, I have found two referees, both of them are professionals and British Citizens. However, neither of them are chartered engineers, nor on the list of the HO-approved professions. One of them is a telecom engineer and only holds a UK master engineering degree, and the other is a project manager in a publishing company. Would they still qualify to be my referees? My partner would also like to have the same referees for their AN application too. They have to be on the list and/or chartered. If not, best to look for another referee that works in an accepted profession.

Q5.
My partner provided her English language evidence during their recent ILR application, and now they are asked to provide it again. Sure we can do it by providing the same evidence, but my partner is not asked the above questions Q2 and Q3, so I am not sure why our AN forms ask us slightly different questions. Just provide evidence of English exam and explain in a cover letter that she supplied it for her ILR application. The form is a bit clunky.

Q6.
Regarding my partner's parents' information, should their "Town of Birth" be consistent with their passports? Their passports only show their birth of province, not as detailed as towns. Specify town of birth and explain in cover note

And do we need to provide our parents' passports for our AN applications? No, as you are applying to naturalise rather than based on parents' nationality

Q7.
I would provide both as it's free to upload documents

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:41 am

Dear Forum,

Thank you so much for all your kind help so far, much appreciated!

Another question is - if one has not hold ILR for one full year (still one month to go), could they submit their AN form for citizenship application now and expect their ILR holding will become one full year around/after their biometrics appointment? If so, would their application date (with less than one year ILR when submitting) affect their citizenship application? Or would the caseworker put their case on hold until their ILR becomes one year before processing their case?

Thank you again.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:54 am

Not sure what happens in that scenario- normal recommend is to wait til 12 months are completed avoid any possibility of issues. I’m aware for ILR timings can be managed but naturalisation doesn’t come under immigration rules so best to stick with the rules.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:13 pm

nuaaxiayu wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:41 am
Dear Forum,

Thank you so much for all your kind help so far, much appreciated!

Another question is - if one has not hold ILR for one full year (still one month to go), could they submit their AN form for citizenship application now and expect their ILR holding will become one full year around/after their biometrics appointment? If so, would their application date (with less than one year ILR when submitting) affect their citizenship application? Or would the caseworker put their case on hold until their ILR becomes one year before processing their case?

Thank you again.
You would need to rely on the caseworker goodwill to do that for you - there are cases where you can ask for discretion and supply additional documents, but if it doesn't change your situation to wait for one more month, I would suggest doing that rather than complicating your situation.

nuaaxiayu
United Kingdom

Post by nuaaxiayu » Thu May 02, 2024 10:32 am

Dear Forum,

Just a quick question - could the referees sign the declaration forms before we submit the naturalization AN application form please? Or must the referees' declaration forms dated after the naturalization applcation submission date?

Thank you.