ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First time passport question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

First time passport question

Post by sairsint » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:25 pm

This has probably been answered here before but I cannot locate it.

I am confused on what identification documents are needed after reading the Department of Foreign Affairs website for applying for a first time passport as a naturalised Irish citizen NOT born on the island of Ireland but IS a current resident of Ireland.

It says:

The Public Services Card is the most efficient way for you to verify your identify. This ensures that your application can be processed quickly. We only need a photocopy of your PSC card.

If you do not have a Public Services Card, you must submit an original government issued photographic identification. This could be an original passport from another country or a certified copy of your driver’s licence (certified by a solicitor or notary public).

However, once you go through the online process to apply and select naturalisation, it says:

You will need to provide the documents below to verify your citizenship:
  • Applicant’s original full civil birth certificate
    Applicant's Naturalisation certificate (we will also accept a colour copy of Naturalisation Certificate, certified as a true copy of the original by a solicitor or notary public)
    If born outside the Island of Ireland, the applicant's original passport from country of origin/previous nationality

So my question is, do you need to only submit a photocopy of your PSC card or do you need to also send in your original country's passport? This matters especially if you need to travel while waiting for them to send your documents back.

Both of them also say different things about accepting the original versus certified copies of your naturalisation certificate, but I am less concerned about that one. It's just another piece of conflicting information on the same website.

Any help from some that's gone through this is appreciated!

meself2
Ireland

Re: First time passport question

Post by meself2 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:55 pm

People say you can say a PSC copy only (certified by a Garda); I sent in my passport just in case, as mine was certified by PC.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:13 pm

Thanks for that. It even says you don’t need a certified PSC copy, but who knows!

How long was it before you received your passport back?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:40 pm

sairsint wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:13 pm
Thanks for that. It even says you don’t need a certified PSC copy, but who knows!

How long was it before you received your passport back?
It was returned in a month's time, as supporting documents technically do.

I've also heard people saying they got their supporting documents back some time after they were asked to submit something new (ie they submitted a copy of certificate and were asked for a new one), so that time should be accurate regardless.

You can ask a DFA agent in web chat about PSC as well.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:47 pm

Appreciate it. I do travel often, so if it’s within a month I’d be okay with sending the passport. I know their webchat does work a bit during this process; it’s certainly more transparent than the citizenship application.

I’d rather just (over) send everything so they have no reason to ask for more information. I just don’t understand the conflicting information on the same government websites!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:29 pm

sairsint wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:47 pm
Appreciate it. I do travel often, so if it’s within a month I’d be okay with sending the passport. I know their webchat does work a bit during this process; it’s certainly more transparent than the citizenship application.

I’d rather just (over) send everything so they have no reason to ask for more information. I just don’t understand the conflicting information on the same government websites!
What I meant by webchat is that you can ask them before you send the documents, whether PSC is enough or not; it doesn't just works for people who already submitted their documents.

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:06 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:29 pm
sairsint wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:47 pm

What I meant by webchat is that you can ask them before you send the documents, whether PSC is enough or not; it doesn't just works for people who already submitted their documents.
I understood what you meant. There’s also a phone number to contact them as well. I might give it a try and see what they say.

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:45 pm

I spoke to a DFA agent via the web chat this morning and they confirmed only one government issued identification is necessary to submit for a first time passport.

For example, if you have an in-date PSC card with a photo on it, a normal (non-certified) photocopy of the front and back is all that is necessary to submit. Further, all proof of name and address documents must be dated within 12 months, which is not clearly stated on the website.

userincork
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by userincork » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:33 pm

I hope it is okay to continue the first time passport questions. I did my application today based on naturalisation. I applied in my married name. The last of documents did not ask for a marriage cert. I didn't send one but now I'm really stressed thinking I should have. If the marriage cert wasn't on the check list should I have sent it anyway? Thank you.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:47 pm

userincork wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:33 pm
I hope it is okay to continue the first time passport questions. I did my application today based on naturalisation. I applied in my married name. The last of documents did not ask for a marriage cert. I didn't send one but now I'm really stressed thinking I should have. If the marriage cert wasn't on the check list should I have sent it anyway? Thank you.
You should've - it's stated clearly on the website. I assume it's not in the checklist as they can't know if you're married or not.
https://www.ireland.ie/en/dfa/passports ... n%20abroad
If you are a naturalised Irish citizen and are now resident in Ireland, please submit the following original documents. These will be returned to you.

Identity verification form.
Original Naturalisation Certificate
Full original civil birth certificate (version that includes the name(s) of the parent(s)).
Original Civil marriage or Civil Partnership certificate (if applying for a passport in your married name).

userincork
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by userincork » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:43 pm

I know it says it in the faq. In the application process it asked for different names so it was really confusing that it didn't call out the certs. The realization dawned a few hours after the envelope was posted. I had checked the checklist about 5 times before posting. Do you know if I can I post them on in a separate envelope with a copy of the cover letter or do I have to wait for them to request the documents? I will go on the wechat in the morning to ask too. Thank you.

userincork
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by userincork » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:01 am

For anyone searching in future, I went on the webchat and they confirmed they will send me an email with a link to print another posting label to send the missing certs in a separate envelope.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:42 am

This might help other people

I got my biometric passport page certified by the Garda alongside the PPSN card so I did not need to send the originals

The passport office processed same without any problems

Best regards

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:38 pm

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:42 am

I got my biometric passport page certified by the Garda alongside the PPSN card so I did not need to send the originals

Best regards
Thanks for the information. However after speaking with a DFA agent it’s not a requirement to send in your original passport if you have an in-date PSC card. You also only need to send in a regular photocopy (front and back) of the PSC card; it doesn’t need to be certified.

archermoo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by archermoo » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:28 pm

sairsint wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:38 pm
shpirtshqipe wrote:

Best regards
Thanks for the information. However after speaking with a DFA agent it’s not a requirement to send in your original passport if you have an in-date PSC card. You also only need to send in a regular photocopy (front and back) of the PSC card; it doesn’t need to be certified.
I just got the same information via webchat with DFA. Regular photocopy of in date PSC card is sufficient. No need for it to be certified. And no need to send in my US passport.

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:43 pm

archermoo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:28 pm
sairsint wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:38 pm
shpirtshqipe wrote:

Best regards
I just got the same information via webchat with DFA. Regular photocopy of in date PSC card is sufficient. No need for it to be certified. And no need to send in my US passport.
I'm glad that someone else confirmed this as well. As much as I'd like to just "over send" all of these documents just in case, I really don't want to be without my original passport as I tend to travel often.

Beatrixkiddo123
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by Beatrixkiddo123 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:36 pm

shpirtshqipe wrote:

Best regards
Just to double check.
If you have a foreign passport you don’t have to send the original as long you send a certified copy by the Garda together with a certified copy of PPSN card?
Thank you!

cnbyz
Mood:
Ireland

Post by cnbyz » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:44 pm

shpirtshqipe wrote:

Best regards
How do you get your documents certified by Garda ? Is it free ? do you need an appointment ?

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:03 pm

According to the passport office DFA agent, if you're resident in Ireland and have a valid, in date Public Service Card (PSC) card with your photo on it, then you only need to send in a standard photocopy of the front and back of the card for identification purposes. You DO NOT need to have the photocopy certified nor do you need to send in your original country's passport or even a copy of it.

It's only if you DO NOT have a PSC card that you need to send in the original / certified copy of identification documents (e.g. original passport, driving license, etc.). You also need to send in the other supporting documents (with proof of name, address, etc.) as explained on the passport website and I confirmed those documents need to be dated within the last 12 months (it does not state this requirement on the website).

People here keep referring to a PPSN card and I think they might be confusing it with a PSC card which also has your PPS number. The PSC card looks like this: https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/16fa7-h ... ps-number/

sv23367

Post by sv23367 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:36 pm

there is no PPSN card. it is the PSC (Public Service Card) which has the PPS number