ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cancel Citizenship Application and Retain ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

uniriri

Cancel Citizenship Application and Retain ILR

Post by uniriri » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:58 am

Hi All,

How do I cancel UK citizenship application? I have applied online, filled in the form, paid and everything but have not yet gone for the biometric. Due to personal reasons I would like to cancel my citizenship application but cant seem to find any information how to do this.

Also I currently hold an ILR (biometric permit expiring Dec 24). Presumably my ILR would still be valid if i cancel my citizenship application? I understand that the reason why the biometric card itself is expiring is because UKBA is moving from physical BRP cards to digital immigration status.

I plan to stay in the UK on my ILR and perhaps look to apply again in a years time.

thank you, a

SupperDog
United Kingdom

Re: Cancel Citizenship Application and Retain ILR

Post by SupperDog » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:10 pm

uniriri

Post by uniriri » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:13 pm

thank you, i saw that form but it notes:

This form should be used if:
You have an outstanding application with the Home Office and now wish to withdraw this and leave the UK

i dont want to leave the UK, i want to stay here on my ILR.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:20 pm

uniriri wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:58 am
Hi All,

How do I cancel UK citizenship application? I have applied online, filled in the form, paid and everything but have not yet gone for the biometric. Due to personal reasons I would like to cancel my citizenship application but cant seem to find any information how to do this.

Also I currently hold an ILR (biometric permit expiring Dec 24). Presumably my ILR would still be valid if i cancel my citizenship application? I understand that the reason why the biometric card itself is expiring is because UKBA is moving from physical BRP cards to digital immigration status.

I plan to stay in the UK on my ILR and perhaps look to apply again in a years time.

thank you, a

Just do not attend biometrics. Your application will be void and eventually you will get back the fee. You will be able to stay on ILR.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

uniriri

Post by uniriri » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:29 pm

Thank you contorted_svy,

is this the best way? just to leave it void rather than formally cancel / withdraw the application?

when can i expect the refund and will this affect any future applications?

thanks again,
a

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:33 pm

It won't affect future applications. Timelines for refunds are not provided by the HO so hard to say how long it could take. This is the avenue I would recommend personally, once you attend biometrics you can cancel the application but you wouldn't get back the money.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

uniriri

Post by uniriri » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:59 pm

Thank you contorted_svy,

yes i read that the best time to withdraw is before biometric which is why i cancelled my biometric appointment (though wasnt able to get refund on that).

thank you again, i'll just not attend biometric and application will be void and hopefully in a few months will get my money back.

thanks,
a

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:05 pm

Out of courtesy, why you decided not to apply for BC?

uniriri

Post by uniriri » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:22 pm

thank you all for the help

SupperDog
United Kingdom

Post by SupperDog » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:08 pm

uniriri wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:13 pm

You have an outstanding application with the Home Office and now wish to withdraw this and leave the UK

Just use it, those are out of date.

SupperDog
United Kingdom

Post by SupperDog » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:12 pm

uniriri wrote:

If you need more information read this
https://www.gov.uk/cancel-visa

Those wording are mainly for visa applications as there are very few people who want to withdraw citizenship applications.

This is the only form to withdraw a citizenship application.

SupperDog
United Kingdom

Post by SupperDog » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:17 pm

uniriri wrote:

Moreover, this form hasn't been updated since the old days when people applied by post. The submitted forms are processed by UKVI staff manually, the form is just a way to tell Home Office you want to withdraw.

SupperDog
United Kingdom

Post by SupperDog » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:37 pm

For your information, not attending your biometric appointment as mentioned below won't 100% guarantee that you will get a refund
contorted_svy wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:20 pm
Just do not attend biometrics. Your application will be void and eventually you will get back the fee. You will be able to stay on ILR.
As per Home Office refund policy,

Refunds will not be issued if the application is withdrawn in the following circumstances:
• where the customer is required to submit biometric data but fails to do so, they withdraw their application after the specified period for submitting biometric data has lapsed and the application has gone on to be processed by the Home Office

But it also says

The caseworker may decide that a refund is required for the following reasons:
• the application is invalid and cannot be processed, for example because biometrics have not been provided

So if you can get a refund depends on whether Home Office process your application without biometrics information. I don't know how they work but from previous posts, when "IT issues" occur, some people said their biometrics information was lost but Home Office still processed their application, and they kept receiving biometric appointment reminder emails.

This is just very limited information I can get, and it's totally up to you to choose how to withdraw your application.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:40 am

There may be an option to cancel your application if you log in to your UKVI account.

SupperDog
United Kingdom

Post by SupperDog » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:52 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:40 am
There may be an option to cancel your application if you log in to your UKVI account.
He was required to attend a biometric appointment which means he can't use the ukvi app and doesn't have a ukvi account. Using the form is the only way he can do.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:53 pm

The option should appear in the application. Worth checking at least

SupperDog
United Kingdom

Post by SupperDog » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:04 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:53 pm
The option should appear in the application. Worth checking at least
The official guidance says it clearly if a biometric appointment was required, use the form to withdraw. If the ID Check app was used, cancel in the app.