ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is employer allowed to copy passport?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

be123+

Is employer allowed to copy passport?

Post by be123+ » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:30 am

Hi.

Hope you’re all well.

Just want to ask whether anyone can advise me as whether employer is allowed to make a copy of my passport?

I am not confident to give my passport as i don’t know whether the passport detail is kept securely or being used.

Thank you

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: Is employer allowed to copy passport?

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:36 am

There is an expectation that an employer holds a copy of your passport. Particularly if you are subject to immigration control and even more so as a skilled worker.

be123+

Post by be123+ » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:43 am

Is that for all nationality or British National is exempt? The thing is that the employer has never asked for the past 5 years and suddenly asking for ID. They could have just asked the home office whether someone is allowed to work or otherwise. Is that not how it is?

Is there any suggestion to prove a right to work without giving a copy of passport?

I understand that someone has a visa or permit that they need to provide but I am exempt from those criteria.

Thanks.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:51 am

https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk/ ... itizen/yes
Is the worker:
a British citizen
[...]
You must make a clear copy of their passport. Make sure the copy includes the applicant’s details (for example nationality, date of birth and photograph).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

be123+

Post by be123+ » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:04 am

Thanks for the information.

Is there other way for not providing any copy of passport or am I allowed to tell them for not making a copy of my passport?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:19 am

As a manager I have taken copies of passports of new starters and retained them in the personnel files I kept for my team. On staff leaving I destroyed most of the documents as they were of no further use. HR will have their own policies on document retention which was 10 years at that time.I know people are nervous about data security which is understandable. You can ask what policies the companies have in place.

NB. Over the years I must have given 100s of copies of my passports both British and foreign and never any issues with that.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:48 pm

What is your issue with the passport copy? Your employer has far more information on you already than that contained in a passport. Your national insurance number, your date of birth, your address, your bank details and whatever else they have gathered up. And you are concerned about a document that has little value other it verifies your details that they have and has a picture of you?

And for your information - you can not give a copy of the passport- you must hand the original document over for them to copy. This is part of the right to work checks for employers. They have to confirm sight of the original document.

Your employer is probably recently aware of their full responsibilities, new HR person, or there has been an issue or perhaps they have taken advice. The check should have taken place at the start of your employment to be honest.

If the question was - what happens if you don’t have a passport- then that is a different matter….

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:00 am

Being British does not confer a special right to someone on the basis of what this request is o regarding your employment.
Provide it.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:44 am

be123+ wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:30 am
Hi.

Hope you’re all well.

Just want to ask whether anyone can advise me as whether employer is allowed to make a copy of my passport?

I am not confident to give my passport as i don’t know whether the passport detail is kept securely or being used.

Thank you
Your employer has the right to request for your blood sample if that's required for the job. :lol:

It's for you to decided how badly you want the job or not.

Travel agents, insurance, loans, banks, credit checks all ask for this. Strange you even think it's illegal?
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!