ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Loss of pre-settled status

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

etsy823
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Loss of pre-settled status

Post by etsy823 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:21 pm

I'm considering breaking up with my girlfriend. I am an EU national with settled status and she is a non-EU national with pre-settled status. Before the pre-settled status she was on an unmarried partner visa which later changed to pre-settled status. Her status will change to settled status in June 2024 after 5 years. My question is, by breaking up with her now and informing the Home Office about it will she lose her current status and will she need to leave the UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Loss of pre-settled status

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:30 pm

by breaking up with her now and informing the Home Office about it will she lose her current status and will she need to leave the UK?
Yes, this is likely what will occur. To qualify for Settled Status, she needs to be a family member of an EU citizen and as you are not married, if you break up, she loses her status virtually instantly. Unmarried partners don't have the option of apply for retained rights of residence like married partners who separate/divorce do.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ppendix-eu
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

etsy823
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by etsy823 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:32 pm

She has recently received an email that says: "You are receiving this email notification because Home Office records show that you hold pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS), and because you may now be eligible for settled status"

Why would she be eligible for settled status if she hasn't reached 5 years yet?

eubritish
United Kingdom

Post by eubritish » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:15 pm

Thats a default email they send out to everyone, nothing specific to your partner.

etsy823
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by etsy823 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:50 pm

So even if she applies now she won't get the settled status. She can only apply after full 5 years?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:29 pm

She needs to wait until June - it is not a long time off. I understand it is an awkward situation but if you are willing to keep thing civil with her until she becomes eligible she can apply then. It is important that she is aware of the consequences.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.