ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Stamp 1 to Stamp 4 - Dublin Office

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

susanwj
Newly Registered
Canada

Switching from Stamp 1 to Stamp 4 - Dublin Office

Post by susanwj » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:23 pm

Hi,

I am hoping someone can talk me through the process of switching from my current stamp/permission (stamp 1) to a Stamp 4 visa, on the basis of being married to an Irish national, through Dublin. I am currently living in Dublin.

I have read in several places that you are required to attend your local immigration office with your spouse, to ask for the permission to be changed. When I called the office on the Quays to book this appointment, I was told to apply online for a "renewal". I explained that it wasn't a renewal but a switch of permissions, and then directly quoted the website, which says: "If you become a spouse or civil partner of an Irish national who is resident in the State, you may attend at ISD Burgh Quay or your local immigration office with your Irish national spouse or civil partner to apply for a change of status to Stamp 4."

The person I spoke to then said I needed to contact their general email to ask for them to issue a letter, which would then permit us to book an appointment and would allow us to attend the office in person. I emailed right away, and have not received a response. Both a solicitor and citizens info told me to call the freephone number for an appointment and did not mention this step.

Has anyone who has gone through the Dublin office explain how they did this, and what the time frame was like? Should I call the Quays office again and push for an appointment, or do you apply through the INIS website? If you do apply through the website, are you then offered an in-person appointment with someone?

Any advice would be much appreciated, as I can't seem to get a straight answer about this.

Thank you.

LuciaK
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Switching from Stamp 1 to Stamp 4 - Dublin Office

Post by LuciaK » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

Even if it is 'changing your stamp type' you should do via ISD renewal website, as I did twice.

I originally held stamp 2 at the beginning in Ireland and married with my husband years ago, who recently got a naturalisation and became an Irish citizen.

I changed my permission from stamp 2 to stamp 3 (before he naturalised) and stamp 3 to stamp 4.
All the processed had been done via the renewal webpage your are informed on the phone.

You can just upload your spouse details(Irish passport) and your current IRP card and the documents they require, just doing as renewal process.

when I did it, I uploaded My previous IRP(Stamp 3), Bill that both me and my husband's names are listed, marriage certificate, and his details, and it's approved.

LuciaK
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by LuciaK » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

Even if it is 'changing your stamp type' you should do via ISD renewal website, as I did twice.

I originally held stamp 2 at the beginning in Ireland and married with my husband years ago, who recently got a naturalisation and became an Irish citizen.

I changed my permission from stamp 2 to stamp 3 (before he naturalised) and stamp 3 to stamp 4.
All the processed had been done via the renewal webpage your are informed on the phone.

You can just upload your spouse details(Irish passport) and your current IRP card and the documents they require, just doing as renewal process.

when I did it, I uploaded My previous IRP(Stamp 3), Bill that both me and my husband's names are listed, marriage certificate, and his details, and it's approved.

susanwj
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by susanwj » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:23 am

LuciaK wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

@LuciaK thank you so much for responding! This is very helpful. So, after you submitted your documents online, the approved the application without asking for an in-person appointment?

Do you know if it would be beneficial to also submit documents showing that I am employed, and to include proof of funds from my own bank account?

Also, I’ve seen in several places that you have to present proof of health insurance. Did you have this at the time of application?

LuciaK
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by LuciaK » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:02 pm

They never asked me to attend the immigration office for additional appointment, just approved.

I guess, because whatever stamp 3 or stamp 4, If the visa is a type of dependent visa, They seems to more focus on your spouse's status, rather than the you or me, which means you don't have to prove your financial status, but your spouse might have to.

I remember that only my husband had to prove some documents that prove his financial status at the first time (when I got a stamp 3 visa), such as his last few months bank statement, employment agreement, and the mortgage statement he had been paying for.

But I am not sure if it was because my husband was not an Irish citizen at that time, cuz according the instruction, Stamp 4 applicants are not required to present your spouse's statement, but stamp 3 are.

Also, I attached the health insurance qualification when I applied for Stamp 3 visa,(it was my first dependent visa so I did the process as the first registration) but at the time of applying for stamp 4, I only presented the documents they listed for renewal process on their renewal instruction page.

They divided the required documents lists into first time registrations and renewals, so you can check the list from the link below and select one of the categories depending on your situation.

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/required-documents/

susanwj
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by susanwj » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:50 pm

LuciaK wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:02 pm
They never asked me to attend the immigration office for additional appointment, just approved.

I guess, because whatever stamp 3 or stamp 4, If the visa is a type of dependent visa, They seems to more focus on your spouse's status, rather than the you or me, which means you don't have to prove your financial status, but your spouse might have to.

I remember that only my husband had to prove some documents that prove his financial status at the first time (when I got a stamp 3 visa), such as his last few months bank statement, employment agreement, and the mortgage statement he had been paying for.

But I am not sure if it was because my husband was not an Irish citizen at that time, cuz according the instruction, Stamp 4 applicants are not required to present your spouse's statement, but stamp 3 are.

Also, I attached the health insurance qualification when I applied for Stamp 3 visa,(it was my first dependent visa so I did the process as the first registration) but at the time of applying for stamp 4, I only presented the documents they listed for renewal process on their renewal instruction page.

They divided the required documents lists into first time registrations and renewals, so you can check the list from the link below and select one of the categories depending on your situation.

I think you are right about the office not needing evidence of my personal finances/job, etc. I guess I was just thinking it would be better to include supplementary information about my own circumstances, just to provide more evidence of being established in Ireland, and to prove that I am working. I will think about this anyways and will see if I can find any more information.

I had taken out an insurance policy for the first year of my stamp 1, but I don't have anything currently. I will also look into this. It's good to know that they didn't ask you to submit proof of a policy at the time of the Stamp 4 application.

Can I ask how long it took you to hear back from them after submitting? And how many years before you have to renew again?

Thanks again for answering my questions, and for providing this link as well. This is very helpful!

LuciaK
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by LuciaK » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:48 am

susanwj wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:50 pm
LuciaK wrote:

I think you are right about the office not needing evidence of my personal finances/job, etc. I guess I was just thinking it would be better to include supplementary information about my own circumstances, just to provide more evidence of being established in Ireland, and to prove that I am working. I will think about this anyways and will see if I can find any more information.

I had taken out an insurance policy for the first year of my stamp 1, but I don't have anything currently. I will also look into this. It's good to know that they didn't ask you to submit proof of a policy at the time of the Stamp 4 application.

Can I ask how long it took you to hear back from them after submitting? And how many years before you have to renew again?

Thanks again for answering my questions, and for providing this link as well. This is very helpful!

It took about 3 weeks until I received the approval email, and I think it's the average processing time at the moment. they also update the information that which week of applications they are processing, so you can check it once you apply for your permission.

Let's say more detailed,
I stayed in Ireland for the first 3 years (2016-219) with stamp 2 (student) and stamp 1 (working holiday visa) and I came back to Ireland in mid 2022 with another stamp 2 for personal reasons even though I had already got married the beginning of the year.

It was only 8 months permission and I changed my permission from stamp 2 to stamp 3(non-eu spouse) in 2023 as my husband was non-eu work permit holder.

And he naturalised at the end of 2023, once he received his certification, I applied for stamp 4 right away although the remaining expiry date of stamp 3 was more than 3 months.
They normally give 3 years permission for Irish spouses and once your permission is approved, your previous permission no longer valid.

lenduha
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by lenduha » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:21 pm

LuciaK wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:48 am
susanwj wrote:
LuciaK wrote:

It took about 3 weeks until I received the approval email, and I think it's the average processing time at the moment. they also update the information that which week of applications they are processing, so you can check it once you apply for your permission.

Let's say more detailed,
I stayed in Ireland for the first 3 years (2016-219) with stamp 2 (student) and stamp 1 (working holiday visa) and I came back to Ireland in mid 2022 with another stamp 2 for personal reasons even though I had already got married the beginning of the year.

It was only 8 months permission and I changed my permission from stamp 2 to stamp 3(non-eu spouse) in 2023 as my husband was non-eu work permit holder.

And he naturalised at the end of 2023, once he received his certification, I applied for stamp 4 right away although the remaining expiry date of stamp 3 was more than 3 months.
They normally give 3 years permission for Irish spouses and once your permission is approved, your previous permission no longer valid.
@LuciaK

I am a naturalized citizen and found this thread quite useful. My wife will make an application to renew her IRP and planning to change it to stamp 4 from 1G.

1) In the list of required documents Your permission letter from the Department of Justice that details the conditions under which you were granted a Stamp 4 (if applicable). is being mentioned, but not sure what if applicable means. Did you upload/get anything like that?

2) In the online application form, when Stamp4 is selected, it asks for sub-category 1.19 Do any of these sub-categories apply to you?

what category you selected?

Thanks,

susanwj
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by susanwj » Wed May 01, 2024 6:21 pm

lenduha wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:21 pm
LuciaK wrote:
susanwj wrote:
LuciaK wrote:

Let's say more detailed,

@LuciaK

I am a naturalized citizen and found this thread quite useful. My wife will make an application to renew her IRP and planning to change it to stamp 4 from 1G.

1) In the list of required documents Your permission letter from the Department of Justice that details the conditions under which you were granted a Stamp 4 (if applicable). is being mentioned, but not sure what if applicable means. Did you upload/get anything like that?

2) In the online application form, when Stamp4 is selected, it asks for sub-category 1.19 Do any of these sub-categories apply to you?

what category you selected?

Thanks,
I know your previous post was directed to @LuciaK, but I just wanted to say that when I submitted the application online, I left the first box blank, as I looked through my old files and couldn't find any letters - I don't think I was issued with anything when I got my first IRP card. To answer your second question, in 1.19 I selected "Joining my Irish Spouse or Civil Partner". I am still waiting to hear back from the Dublin office about my application to switch.

fetiyah
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by fetiyah » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:41 pm

@susanwj,

Hows your application? No need for appointment and just renew online?

Don’t we need to have the ‘permission letter’?

I am waiting for my certificate at the moment and husband’s IRP will expire by 4th September.

Thank you.

fetiyah
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by fetiyah » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:46 pm

LuciaK wrote:
susanwj wrote:
LuciaK wrote:

Let's say more detailed,

@LuciaK,

As you mentioned that you applied stamp 4 after your husband received his certification, you didn't wait his Irish passport anymore? Because that is my plan too as my husband's IRP will expire soon if I will wait for my passport. Also, you didn't attach in your online application the 'permission letter'?

Thank you.

sv23367

Post by sv23367 » Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:19 pm

I had recently converted my spouse,' stamp 1g visa to stamp 4 visa. Go thru this link

viewtopic.php?t=344593

They didn't charge me a cent. Got stamp4 for 3 years

Thanks