ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referees - What exactly is requested

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

V_i_k_i
Newly Registered
Belarus

Moving from England to Scotland while Applying

Post by V_i_k_i » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:43 pm

Hi Friends,

I'll qualify for citizenship soon but I might also need to move from England to Scotland while waiting for the decision. I wonder if it's something that might cause problems in general? Or maybe problems with discrepancies in legislation? Will I still be considered under the English rules if I choose a venue in Scotland, or change my English address into a Scottish one in the meantime?

Thank you in advance.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Moving from England to Scotland while Applying

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:07 am

That will be ok, you just need to communicate your change of address to UKVI. Rules in England and Scotland are the same.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:46 am

You're applying to become British, not English! It really doesn't matter where you reside in the United Kingdom. How you see yourself afterwards is now entirely up to you.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Post by PM74Juve » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:57 pm

V_i_k_i wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:43 pm
Hi Friends,

I'll qualify for citizenship soon but I might also need to move from England to Scotland while waiting for the decision. I wonder if it's something that might cause problems in general? Or maybe problems with discrepancies in legislation? Will I still be considered under the English rules if I choose a venue in Scotland, or change my English address into a Scottish one in the meantime?

Thank you in advance.
Update them with your address.

Otherwise the only problem you potentially face is the ceremony. I presume you selected which local authority you wanted to attend for your ceremony during the online application or otherwise they default to relevant one you resided within the boundaries of when you submitted application. Changing the ceremony venue after application is not straightforward and some I notice advise not possible... but of course for a one off event you could always travel if necessary.

V_i_k_i
Newly Registered
Belarus

Referees - What exactly is requested

Post by V_i_k_i » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:46 pm

Hi
On the application page, they warn that I'd need 3 things - UK Life est, English lang test, and referees. I wonder what exactly they'd ask for as referees. I found a form online - would they ask to upload those forms filled? Or should I just share their contact details, so that the HO workers chase them with all the necessary forms and affirmations?

Basically, I don't know what exactly they ask in the application so I can't figure out what I need to prepare from my side before applying. Is it just warning my referees that they'd be contacted soon, or sending and getting filled papers before applying? If the former, does it mean I also need the fresh 1month old photo of myself? They just don't mention it :|

Thank you in advance

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Referees - What exactly is requested

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:49 pm

All you need to do is to get the referees to sign the forms. They won’t be contacted by UKVI. The form can be downloaded once you have submitted the application. What matters is that they qualify to act as referees. Your photo should be recent - it won’t be used for any other purpose.
For information on referee requirements search the following document for “referee “:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... als_v4.pdf
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

neohk

Post by neohk » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:57 pm

did the reverse
update address as normal
i tried to get a confirmation that the ceremony will be done at the new location, didn't get any reply so went via MP and they confirmed for me

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Referees - What exactly is requested

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:22 pm

V_i_k_i wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:46 pm
Hi
On the application page, they warn that I'd need 3 things - UK Life est, English lang test, and referees. I wonder what exactly they'd ask for as referees. I found a form online - would they ask to upload those forms filled? Or should I just share their contact details, so that the HO workers chase them with all the necessary forms and affirmations?

Basically, I don't know what exactly they ask in the application so I can't figure out what I need to prepare from my side before applying. Is it just warning my referees that they'd be contacted soon, or sending and getting filled papers before applying? If the former, does it mean I also need the fresh 1month old photo of myself? They just don't mention it :|

Thank you in advance

If you fill in the whole application form it will ask you for some details about your referees. You will need to use the form you found, which can be filled in and signed digitally (as long as the signature is consistent with what appears on the passport, not typed). You will then upload the filled in forms on the UKVCAS website. Referees may be contacted but it is infrequent.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.