ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born abroad. Naturalisation confusion

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tesco420
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Child born abroad. Naturalisation confusion

Post by tesco420 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:04 am

Hi , me and my 11 years old daughter ( born abroad) received our ILR last week. I am married to a British citizen, and I am preparing to apply for citizenship next week. My daughter is however step daughter of my husband. Me and my daughter both have spent 5 years in the UK. My questions are,

1. Can my daughter gets British passport straight away when i become Naturalised or British citizen.

2. If my daughter need to apply for Naturalisation, can she apply at the same time with me or she need to wait for one year.

Pls help and guide.

secret.simon

Re: Child born abroad. Naturalisation confusion

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:24 am

If a person is not born a British citizen, the only way to become a British citizen is by registration or naturalisation (adults only).

There is no automatic acquisition of British citizenship at any time after birth.
tesco420 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:04 am
2. If my daughter need to apply for Naturalisation, can she apply at the same time with me or she need to wait for one year.
She can apply to register as a British citizen at the same time as your naturalisation application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.