ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for ILR while Plenty of Time on Current Visa

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

uhd4k
New Zealand

Gap Period between Dependent Visa and right to ILR

Post by uhd4k » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:09 am

Hi,

My wife's BRP ends on December 31st, 2023. She entered (stamped) the UK on April 17th, 2019. Taking into account the 28-day grace, there is a gap of 2 months and 19 days before becoming eligible to apply for the ILR. All the above also applies to our child.

Applying for a visa extension for them would cost us £5000, which is a lot. Can you please help me calculate how I can apply for a visa extension and then convert it into an ILR application?

I understand the process as demonstrated in the helpful post: indefinite-leave-to-remain/gap-period-b ... 09404.html. I am just confused with the calculations.

My other question is assuming there is a hope I could indeed convert the Extension application into an ILR application, could I pay the super-fast fee for the ILR decision? Or does it have to go through the standard path, i.e. with a 6-month waiting time for the outcome?

Thanks a lot for the help.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Gap Period between Dependent Visa and right to ILR

Post by zimba » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:50 am

ILR qualifying period starts from the first visa issue date. The date of entry to the UK is irrelevant.
You may also apply early and delay the biometrics for up to 45 days: How to apply early and benefit from the date of the ILR decision ?
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:49 am

zimba wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:50 am
ILR qualifying period starts from the first visa issue date. The date of entry to the UK is irrelevant.
Thanks for the answer. I had a look at your previous help and am very happy for the person to have followed your advice.

A clarification, please. By "the first visa" are you referring to the "Valid-From" on the Entry Sticker put on the passport (that'd be the 4th of April) or the date the BRP was issued (that'd be 6th of April)? There is no issue date on the Entry Sticker itself. Just a "Valid From " and "Valid To".

Thanks.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:21 am

uhd4k wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:49 am
zimba wrote:
Thanks for the answer. I had a look at your previous help and am very happy for the person to have followed your advice.

A clarification, please. By "the first visa" are you referring to the "Valid-From" Yes on the Entry Sticker put on the passport (that'd be the 4th of April) or the date the BRP was issued (that'd be 6th of April)? There is no issue date on the Entry Sticker itself. Just a "Valid From " and "Valid To".

Thanks.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:59 am

uhd4k wrote:
zimba wrote:

A clarification, please. By "the first visa" are you referring to the "Valid-From" on the Entry Sticker put on the passport (that'd be the 4th of April) or the date the BRP was issued (that'd be 6th of April)? There is no issue date on the Entry Sticker itself. Just a "Valid From " and "Valid To".

Thanks.
Use the earliest date of issue or approval or validity
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:28 pm

zimba wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:59 am
Use the earliest date of issue or approval or validity
Ok, thanks. All this leads me to 2 crucial questions for my action plan, please:

1- Is the ILR application's date that of online payment or that of Biometry appointment?

2- When I make a variation on the Visa Extension to turn it into an ILR application, could I use the Fast-Track option, which reduces the waiting time to under a week?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:32 pm

Date is the date of online submission and payment, but what matters is when your ILR is being considered by caseworker. If you delay biometrics long enough for ILR to be within necessary timeframe, you'll be fine.

You can try to use priority service, if you can catch the option to do so (it's not readily available), but it's not guaranteed - you may pay money and still be processed under normal timeframe.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:00 pm

So the date from which they start counting backwards for the 5-year period for the ILR application, is it the date of the biometry meeting? Because that would mean I could apply for the variation 45 earlier. That would make the whole thing possible.

If instead, it is the day the payment was done online that would mean I have to wait for 6 weeks after applying for Visa Extension before I could ask for the Variation. Too long and too risky. Hence my question.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:04 pm

uhd4k wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:00 pm
So the date from which they start counting backwards for the 5-year period for the ILR application, is it the date of the biometry meeting? Because that would mean I could apply for the variation 45 earlier. That would make the whole thing possible.

If instead, it is the day the payment was done online that would mean I have to wait for 6 weeks after applying for Visa Extension before I could ask for the Variation. Too long and too risky. Hence my question.
My point was to apply for ILR directly. No need for an extension. You apply early and delay the biometrics until the date that eligible for ILR. Read the link I posted carefully

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:11 pm

zimba wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:04 pm
My point was to apply for ILR directly. No need for an extension. You apply early and delay the biometrics until the date that eligible for ILR. Read the link I posted carefully
If I apply on Sunday, December the 30th, i.e. 2 days before the BRP is no longer valid, then I would have to submit the biometrics no later than Wednesday, February the 14th. That would not make the threshold of 5 years minus 28 days. There would be 8 weeks missing.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:09 pm

what is the date of the initial visa?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:40 pm

zimba wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:09 pm
what is the date of the initial visa?
uhd4k wrote:
zimba wrote:

Thanks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:36 pm

She will qualify on or after 7 March 2024. If you need to apply for an extension then you may delay the biometrics and apply under the standard service. Hopefully, this application will not be decided until 7 March 2024 when you can vary to ILR

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:57 am

zimba wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:36 pm
She will qualify on or after 7 March 2024. If you need to apply for an extension then you may delay the biometrics and apply under the standard service. Hopefully, this application will not be decided until 7 March 2024 when you can vary to ILR
BRP expires on the 1st of January 2024, so assuming we apply for visa extension online on Saturday December the 30th, that would mean we could book the biometry appointment no later than Monday, February the 12th. The hope is for them not to issue a response before March the 7th. That is a waiting time of 3 weeks and 3 days. I feel it is unlikely a response would come that fast. And this leads me to the question I would appreciate your help with:

Once I vary the visa extension to ILR, could I get buy the fast-track option to get a decision in a few days? Or is it only the standard service and 6 months waiting?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:05 pm

Variation of leave is simply the act of applying for the ILR application while the extension application is still pending. You may choose any visa service offered then

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:48 pm

zimba wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:05 pm
Variation of leave is simply the act of applying for the ILR application while the extension application is still pending. You may choose any visa service offered then
Thanks heaps for your help. I can't be grateful enough. I now understand that visa variation is just submitting a new application with reference to the older one. Therefore, it carries all the normal options with it.

There is however something confusing me regarding the start of period calculation for the ILR Application. Is the start date when the ILR Application was submitted or when the Visa Extension was submitted?

The confusing statement about Application the new (ILR) application is: "The application date will remain as the date you submitted the previous application."
Source:https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vary-your-i ... pplication

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:20 am

ILR qualifying period is not strictly dependent on the date of application. It is whether you qualify on the date of the decision. That is because you keep accumulating lawful residence time up to that point.

I explained it here in detail: How to apply early and benefit from the date of the ILR decision ?

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:01 pm

zimba wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:20 am
ILR qualifying period is not strictly dependent on the date of application. It is whether you qualify on the date of the decision. That is because you keep accumulating lawful residence time up to that point.
Got it, and it makes absolute sense. One last question please, and it is based on your experience rather than your amazing knowledge. At this point in time, do you think there is a possibility that a decision about a Visa Extension Application would come within the first 4 weeks after it is lodged? That is the gap we would be waiting for before the variation to ILR. As a disclaimer, your answer is just an opinion. I take ownership of the decision and its consequences. Thanks heaps.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:36 pm

With standard service, it might be unlikely but again I can not say this with a high degree of confidence

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:57 pm

zimba wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:36 pm
With standard service, it might be unlikely but again I can not say this with a high degree of confidence
Yeah, the case is quite straightforward too, hence me being a bit nervous (the irony). Saying that, everywhere I read they talk about delays. Bottom line is even if I get the response before the variation, I would have lost the fees of Visa Extension, which I would lose anyway without variation, even though fees are increasing in October. Worth the try anyway.

I shall update this thread in 2024 with the outcome. Zimba, you should run for PM :-)

uhd4k
New Zealand

Presence During application

Post by uhd4k » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:00 am

Hi,
I have 2 questions, please.

I already obtained my ILR and soon my wife and kid will be applying for theirs based on their relationship with me. I know that an applicant must remain in the UK while a decision is being made for them.However:

1- Do I have to also be in the UK on the day my wife submits the application? Or is it ok if I am overseas at that time?

2- If I am in the country, do I have to remain in it while waiting for the decision about my family's application? or can I simply leave and return at will?

Thanks.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Presence During application

Post by zimba » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:25 am

You are free to travel as you wish

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:57 am

zimba wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:25 am
Just to be clear. I can be overseas on the day my wife is submitting the application for her and our kid's ILR. Right?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:06 am

uhd4k wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:57 am
zimba wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:25 am
Just to be clear. I can be overseas on the day my wife is submitting the application for her and our kid's ILR. Right?
Yes, that is correct.

uhd4k
New Zealand

Income for Spouse ILR

Post by uhd4k » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:12 pm

Hi,

I have my ILR and soon my wife and kid will be applying for theirs based on their relationship with me. My financial situation is well above the threshold over the last 12 months before her application submission. However, I may not have income in the end 2 months due to me leaving paid work and starting some new venture. Do I have to show monthly income until the day of application or is it ok that my pay slips stop 2 months before the application?

Thanks