ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to travel while renewing ILR?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Wonderberry

How to travel while renewing ILR?

Post by Wonderberry » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:26 pm

My friend's ILR is expiring in December 2024 and because of his work, he will struggle to avoid travel for 6 months while the Home Office reviews his ILR extension. His travel is the main reason he is not a citizen yet (can't conform to day absent requirement!). Is there a way to apply for an ILR extension/renewal so that he doesn't give up his right to travel? It seems not as document checklist is required to give in the physical passport, but my friend has 2 passport issues in his homebirth country it seems like the Home Office wants both passports. And then they also want to get a physical BRP ILR that he has and without it, he won't be able to re-enter the UK.

It seems a bit silly, maybe I am missing something? What is the point of applying in advance if he has to give up his travel rights? Is that not the point of applying in advance? I also heard that the Home Office are ditching ILRs on the next day (01/01/25) that his ILR expires (31/12/24), but I gather that we don't know much about it anyway but a bit annoying innit!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: How to travel while renewing ILR?

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:32 pm

My friend's ILR is expiring in December 2024

All BRP Cards expire in December 2024 when a new digital system is being introduced. So your friend will NOT get a new BRP card.

announces/evisas-and-online-only-immigr ... l#p2154853
and because of his work, he will struggle to avoid travel for 6 months while the Home Office reviews his ILR extension.
There is no such thing as 'ILR Extension'!! It is the BRP Card that expires, NOT the ILR status, so nothing to 'extend'.
Is there a way to apply for an ILR extension/renewal so that he doesn't give up his right to travel? It seems not as document checklist is required to give in the physical passport, but my friend has 2 passport issues in his homebirth country it seems like the Home Office wants both passports. And then they also want to get a physical BRP ILR that he has and without it, he won't be able to re-enter the UK.
See above.
It seems a bit silly, maybe I am missing something? What is the point of applying in advance if he has to give up his travel rights? Is that not the point of applying in advance? I also heard that the Home Office are ditching ILRs on the next day (01/01/25) that his ILR expires (31/12/24), but I gather that we don't know much about it anyway but a bit annoying innit!

Useful to review the UKVI website for accurate information. Also useful for your 'friends' to register on the forum and ask their own questions!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.