ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa Application (ILR) - No Public Recourse help

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SpinnyUK
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Spouse Visa Application (ILR) - No Public Recourse help

Post by SpinnyUK » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:40 pm

Hi All,

As the spouse, I'm hoping to submit an ILR application in the next few days/weeks. My wife (the applicant) and I both hold stable jobs, and we've been working in our respective jobs for over a year.

However, 2 years ago, I experienced a pretty horrific health problem that led me to leave my last job. I was unemployed for a few months. Because of financial difficulty, and desperation, I applied for Employment Support Allowance (ESA), and Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

I'm still getting PIP payments because I'm still unwell, but I stopped receving the ESA payments after I got a new job in January last year. I received advice at the time of making a claim for both benefits that I would be allowed to claim both ESA and PIP despite being a sponsor for a spouse.

From my limited understanding, I believe that it is okay to be getting PIP payments, but I can't find any information or guidance related to ESA and how it affects the application we are about to submit.

Should I be concerned, or we in the clear here?

I appreciate any help and advice.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse Visa Application (ILR) - No Public Recourse help

Post by Amber » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:33 pm

If you are British/settled then it’s fine if you claim PIP and will not affect your spouse’s application. In fact, it’s an exception to the general financial requirement for a spouse visa.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.