ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Naturalisation *without* criminal record

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

awawa
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish Naturalisation *without* criminal record

Post by awawa » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:51 pm

Hi,

Firstly I don't have a criminal record. I have an enhanced DBS check as I work with vulnerable people. It is all clear.

However there were some hate speech crime and online harassment allegations made against me consistently for a few years some years ago before I came to Ireland. I wasn't in the UK when they were made - I've worked all over the world - and haven't been back since so I don't know if I would be questioned if I was ever to return.

For the naturalisation garda vetting, would I just need to submit enhanced criminal records checks from the UK or do the gardai have access to all the UK databases and will they see anything there that I am not aware of?

If the latter, how would I find out what's there? Subject access request to the UK?

Does every single applicant to Ireland have to submit criminal checks for every country that they have lived in since they were x years old or is it only some people?

Thanks

awawa
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Irish Naturalisation *without* criminal record

Post by awawa » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:55 pm

I also did magic mushrooms at university 30 years ago and one line of coke some older blokes gave us when we were teenagers and they were trying to take advantage of us. None of these things were found out or got a criminal record but should I declare them given the Prince Harry situation?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:09 pm

awawa wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:51 pm
For the naturalisation garda vetting, would I just need to submit enhanced criminal records checks from the UK
Are you applying as NI applicant or from Ireland? If the former, AFAIK you need to submit a DAT1. What (if any) checks are they doing besides that is unclear.
awawa wrote:
Does every single applicant to Ireland have to submit criminal checks for every country that they have lived in since they were x years old or is it only some people?
Some people. Some say it is required if you spent extended period of time outside Ireland (so in these countries), but unsure.
awawa wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:55 pm
I also did magic mushrooms at university 30 years ago and one line of coke some older blokes gave us when we were teenagers and they were trying to take advantage of us. None of these things were found out or got a criminal record but should I declare them given the Prince Harry situation?
If it's not on the record, I'd say let it be. If you broke a window at 5 years old, that's technically a destruction of property or something, but nobody will prosecute you for that, right?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

awawa
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by awawa » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Thank you so much for your kind reply @mseelf2.

Yes ok I'll leave it off. I'm just the exact sort of idiot who would write a biography about myself and my drug experiences but have made a mental note not to do that. :!:

I'm applying as an applicant in Ireland, not Northern Irish. I suppose if their checks are unclear, then the only way we'll know is if someone had their citizenship denied despite having a clear enhanced DBS check from the UK, on account of what else was on the Police Database UK. I'll keep an eye out on the forums and in articles to see if such a story pops up. I'll do a SAR request and see if there is anything else I am unaware of on my records.

Ok thank you. I lived in Germany for a year too so I'll make sure I have a record from there. I'm happy to submit criminal record checks from everywhere, but the UK is the only question mark given it may go beyond convictions, cautions and warnings. Obviously if a British murderer set up shop in Ireland, lived there for five years whilst wanted, and then applied for citizenship, Ireland will surely realise somewhere along the naturalisation process. I just don't know how it works for lesser complaints.

awawa
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by awawa » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:29 pm

Though presumably said murderer doesn't get clean DBS checks on the regular so idk

archermoo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by archermoo » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:59 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:09 pm
awawa wrote:
Some people. Some say it is required if you spent extended period of time outside Ireland (so in these countries), but unsure.
To the best of my knowledge you have to submit a criminal check for every country that you have lived in for more than x amount of time. X being I think only a few months, but I don't remember off the top of my head. In my case, having been born in the US and lived there most of my life, I had to submit a criminal check from the FBI in the US. They actually didn't ask for it during my vetting for my naturalisation application, presumably because they still had it on record from the vetting I had done for employment and I haven't lived in the US since that was done.