ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EUSS settled status, loss of EU citizenship

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jhelumy123
Newly Registered
Pakistan

EUSS settled status, loss of EU citizenship

Post by Jhelumy123 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:45 pm

Hello

Briefly, I am originally from South Africa, I migrated to and became a German citizen. I moved to London and I currently have settled status in the UK under EUSS.

Recently I lost my German citizenship after it was discovered I had reacquired my South African citizenship, Germany at the time did not allow dual citizenship.

My question is if and when I apply for UK citizenship will the case worker check with the German authorities my German citizenship status? If they do check, can they then refuse my UK citizen application and / or cancel my settled status under EUSS?

Thanks

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: EUSS settled status, loss of EU citizenship

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:04 pm

It does not matter whether the caseworker checks or not. It is your responsibility to declare that you no longer hold German citizenship and should have done so at the time you lost your citizenship. It would appear that you no longer have the right to remain in the U.K. and should have left at the time your German citizenship was revoked. Or in the alternative moved to another immigration route in order to remain in the U.K.
If you lost your German citizenship prior to your EUSS settlement status you are here fully under achieving leave by deception, can be removed to South Africa and given a ten year ban on returning to the U.K. There is also the possibility of being criminally charged for using false documentation. If you lost it after gaining settlement then you will be treated under an administrative route however your stay will be treated under the overstaying for the duration beyond the loss of German citizenship.

You will not be granted British Citizenship as you will have to provide evidence of continued EU citizenship which you no longer have.

How long ago did you lose German citizenship and was it prior to gaining settled status?

Your history of failing to follow immigration rules by retaking South African citizenship will also be a consideration when your case is examined. It appears you are again following a route that breaks immigration law. Even if you gain British Citizenship (by deception) it can be removed as your previous German citizenship.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:10 pm

From another topic (british-citizenship/loss-of-eu-citizens ... l#p2158463):
Jhelumy123 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:37 pm
I lost my German citizenship 2 months after getting my settled status.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:34 pm

Same person, same question…

It would appear they have been in the U.K. for a good period of time without proper leave to remain.

Jhelumy123
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Jhelumy123 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:03 am

Frontier Mole wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:04 pm

You will not be granted British Citizenship as you will have to provide evidence of continued EU citizenship which you no longer have.
Thank you for your comments.

I cannot disagree with what you say. The problem I find myself in, is all my fault.

I have read both the applicant and case worker guidance notes for UK naturalization and I cannot find any reference to providing any evidence of continued EU citizenship. Could you kindly give me a reference to this assertion.

Many thanks

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:19 am

I think you forget that the you have to have legal residency to apply for ILR. You are not here with legal residency!
You have to supply your passport - if you supply your ZAF passport then it is obvious you don’t have EU citizenship…
If you supply any German passport- then you have supplied a false document.
Regardless right now you are in the UK illegally so no matter what the ILR guidance states you are being dishonest as you have not declared you loss of citizenship.

Jhelumy123
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Jhelumy123 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 am

From the list of documents I need to hand in for the citizenship application, I have my biometric card plus UK photo driving license. This is sufficient in place of the German passport. This is my understanding.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:42 am

So you fully intend to claim citizenship knowing you do not hold EU citizenship and will use any means of deception.
Good luck with that.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:59 am

Jhelumy123 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 am
From the list of documents I need to hand in for the citizenship application, I have my biometric card plus UK photo driving license. This is sufficient in place of the German passport. This is my understanding.
You need the passport.

Can i ask why you would choose SA citizenship and pasaport over an EU citizenship passport? Without being a SA citizen, you still retain the right of permanent residence in SA if you wre born there.

Note also, as already advised on your other topic, if you manage to successfully get british citizenahip, you lose your SA citizenship automatically, and your right to an SA passport, unless you have paid for and completed a two step process for permission to retain SA citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jhelumy123
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Jhelumy123 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 pm

After becoming German, I went back to South Africa, it was administratively expedient to be a South African citizen when bidding for certain contract work.

One of my children was born in South Africa later when I applied for their German Citizenship it was then discovered I had reacquired my South African citizenship.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:04 pm

Ok your story is not exactly consistent. You applied for German citizenship for a child born in ZAF. And at that point you were living under ZAF citizenship in South Africa?
Then you somehow end up in the UK using German citizenship for EUSS?
When exactly did you reacquire ZAF citizenship?
When did you claim EUSS?
When did officially lose your German citizenship

Jhelumy123
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Jhelumy123 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:06 am

Frontier Mole wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:04 pm
Ok your story is not exactly consistent. You applied for German citizenship for a child born in ZAF. And at that point you were living under ZAF citizenship in South Africa?
Then you somehow end up in the UK using German citizenship for EUSS?
When exactly did you reacquire ZAF citizenship?
When did you claim EUSS?
When did officially lose your German citizenship
The ground realities are that I am in the UK, I lost my German citizenship 2 months after getting my settled status under EUSS. All I want to know will the case worker who will be looking at my UK citizenship application check my German citizenship status?

If they do check and it will come back that I am no longer a German citizen then what will be the effect on my UK citizenship application and EUSS settled status?

Instead of addressing the question I am being subjected to "Ad Ignominiam" tactics.

blondesafari

Post by blondesafari » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 am

As a former South African, I’m embarrassed for you.
You will have to submit your German passport as proof, and yes, they will check. You could be jailed for immigration fraud.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 am

You are here fraudulently and you know you are. You are seeking information to continue your misrepresentations and you are surprised you are being berated?
The minute you submit the German passport you will move into obtaining leave by deception territory and can look forward to criminal charges.
No doubt you have been asked to return the German passport?