ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving the country while a citizenship application is processing

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

English Language requirement For someone who has obtained GCSE and A-levels and has lived in UK for 11 years

Post by Nickstar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:19 pm

Hello i've applied for citizenship recently, i was wondering what do i need to prove my language? surely, living in the UK since 8, and receiving top GCSE and A-level grades is enough proof, do i really need a B1 test? Furthermore i'm currently studying at Bristol University, would a letter from uni proving my attendance be enough?
Thanks for the help

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: English Language requirement For someone who has obtained GCSE and A-levels and has lived in UK for 11 years

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:23 pm

Unless you already have a degree form a UK university no. GCSEs and A levels are not accepted as proof of language for adults, you will need to take the test. Have you applied already?
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Re: English Language requirement For someone who has obtained GCSE and A-levels and has lived in UK for 11 years

Post by Nickstar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:42 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:23 pm
Unless you already have a degree form a UK university no. GCSEs and A levels are not accepted as proof of language for adults, you will need to take the test. Have you applied already?
shoot, yh i thought the requirement was study(ing) at uni not a graduate, what can i do? i'm panicking, should I book a B1 test ASAP, and how do i notify the home office that i wish to change the proof from a degree to a B1 test?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:53 pm

Yes I would suggest booking a SELT B1 asap and email UKVI. Did you attend the biometrics appointment already?
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Post by Nickstar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:03 pm

yes i've attended my biometrics already, is that a problem?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:19 pm

It would have been easier if you hadn't attended already, but UKVI would contact you to ask for proof of English I think, rather than outright rejecting your application. I would book a test as soon as possible and send it with a cover note to explain your oversight.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:19 pm

How did you acquire ILR? Did you submit an English language test for your ILR?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:21 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:19 pm
If OP has lived here since age 8 and now in university, likely they either had ILE or got ILR a few years ago before age 18.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Post by Nickstar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:47 pm

secret.simon wrote:
I acquired ILR in 2013, back then i do not think i submitted any sort of proof that i knew english

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:55 pm

Nickstar wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:47 pm
secret.simon wrote:
I acquired ILR in 2013, back then i do not think i submitted any sort of proof that i knew english
English language B1 test and Life in the UK test was required in 2013 for ILR for any applicant over the age of 18.

Did you do the Life in the UK test for your citizenship application?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Post by Nickstar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:20 pm

yes i did do life in Uk just a few weeks ago, but back in 2013 i was only 9 so i think i didn't need to prove my level of English

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:50 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:19 pm
It would have been easier if you hadn't attended already, but UKVI would contact you to ask for proof of English I think, rather than outright rejecting your application. I would book a test as soon as possible and send it with a cover note to explain your oversight.
I concur with this advice, but keep in mind that if a caseworker has already looked at your application and seen that information is missing, they may very well reject the application, in which case, you do lose the fees that you have paid.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Leaving the country while a citizenship application is processing

Post by Nickstar » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:13 pm

Hello all, I just have one question. Would I be able to leave the country for holiday with an application for citizenship that is still processing? Would my application be rejected if I leave the country for holiday?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Leaving the country while a citizenship application is processing

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:18 pm

Topics merged. Please keep ALL your questions about the same application in one topic, this one. It is not necessary to start a new topic with every question or query.

You are free to travel. No issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Post by Nickstar » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:52 pm

thanks for the help, i'm just apprehensive about whether applying for new BRP might raise issues, since i've already provided the details of my old BRP, when they check whether that's my current BRP would they not see that it is not and then reject my application for citizenship?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:02 pm

You are being paranoid and overthinking.

Remember, a bRP replacement application can take up to 6 months as you have already been advised and will also only be valid (if issued) till 31 December 2024.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Post by Nickstar » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:11 pm

i understands but the fee is £0, and from what i gathered usually only takes around 2 months, since it might be quicker and free im thinking of just applying anyways to travel, I'm just scared that it might negatively impact my citizenship application

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:16 pm

Nickstar wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:11 pm
I'm just scared that it might negatively impact my citizenship application
It won't!!! Overthinking and paranoid!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:19 pm

Note, naturalisation is not an immigration application and is not governed by immigration rules.
Your immigration status is in place until you become British, BRP application is totally separate.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Post by Nickstar » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:24 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:19 pm
Note, naturalisation is not an immigration application and is not governed by immigration rules.
Your immigration status is in place until you become British, BRP application is totally separate.
Thanks for the help, i understand my ILR will remain valid no matter what, but I'm just thinking that i've put down my current (expired) BRP detail in to my citizenship application, if i receive a new BRP before my citizenship is being processed and the case worker sees that the detail i entered is not matching (since i have new BRP) would they reject my application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:28 pm

Nickstar wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:24 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:19 pm
Thanks for the help, i understand my ILR will remain valid no matter what, but I'm just thinking that i've put down my current (expired) BRP detail in to my citizenship application, if i receive a new BRP before my citizenship is being processed and the case worker sees that the detail i entered is not matching (since i have new BRP) would they reject my application?
CR001 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:16 pm
Nickstar wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:11 pm
I'm just scared that it might negatively impact my citizenship application
It won't!!! Overthinking and paranoid!
A BRP is ONLY a card proving your status (like a drivers licence), it does NOT change YOUR STATUS!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Nickstar
Newly Registered
China

Post by Nickstar » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:39 pm

alright, once again thanks soooo much for the help!!! really appreciate it.