ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years evidence of living in UK - question about documention

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

culka11
Newly Registered

5 years evidence of living in UK - question about documention

Post by culka11 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:45 am

Hi there,

I am currently applying for BC; I have settled status as a family member of an EEA (ROI) citizen. The Settled Status BRP was issued in 2021; I held an EEA PR before this - which was sent back when the settled status brp was issued.

My questions are regarding the requirement to prove I have been in the UK for 5 years (my passport does not get stamped):

- Is this any five years? (Rather than the five years covered by the SS?). Can I simply provide documentation for the last five years?

- I have been a mix of self-employed, PhD student, and PAYE during the last five years; I am planning to get a letter from the university where I did my PhD, collection of P60s (from teaching at the uni, so relatively low-income) and evidence from self-assessment. Does this sound like enough?

- because I have been self-employed, the application requires the 'most recent tax year account statement and corresponding HMRC tax return as proof of self-employment'.  I can get the tax return online - the pdf has a giant digital stamp across it saying 'copy only do not send to hmrc'; will this be accepted? For the tax year account statement: is this the SA302? Do I just print it from my profile? Is there a different doc HMRC issues I am missing?

- In general terms, does the home office accept print outs from HMRC - given self-assessment stuff is all online?

Appreciate your help!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: 5 years evidence of living in UK - question about documention

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:29 am

culka11 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:45 am
Hi there,

I am currently applying for BC; I have settled status as a family member of an EEA (ROI) citizen. The Settled Status BRP was issued in 2021; I held an EEA PR before this - which was sent back when the settled status brp was issued.

My questions are regarding the requirement to prove I have been in the UK for 5 years (my passport does not get stamped):

- Is this any five years? (Rather than the five years covered by the SS?). Can I simply provide documentation for the last five years?
No - it has to be five years counting back from the AN application date - you can't select which 5 years. Citizenship is separate from immigration with it's own rules and requirements.

- I have been a mix of self-employed, PhD student, and PAYE during the last five years; I am planning to get a letter from the university where I did my PhD, collection of P60s (from teaching at the uni, so relatively low-income) and evidence from self-assessment. Does this sound like enough? Sounds ok - your income etc is not relevant as employment is not a requirement, documents are for proving residency.

- because I have been self-employed, the application requires the 'most recent tax year account statement and corresponding HMRC tax return as proof of self-employment'.  I can get the tax return online - the pdf has a giant digital stamp across it saying 'copy only do not send to hmrc'; will this be accepted? For the tax year account statement: is this the SA302? Do I just print it from my profile? Is there a different doc HMRC issues I am missing? Submit what you have and print-out from HMRC.

- In general terms, does the home office accept print outs from HMRC - given self-assessment stuff is all online?
Yes - and you will scan print-outs for upload to UKVI online system. No issue.

Appreciate your help!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:31 am

culka11 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:45 am
Hi there,

- Is this any five years? (Rather than the five years covered by the SS?). Can I simply provide documentation for the last five years? Last five years, not any five years, as that is your qualifying period.

- I have been a mix of self-employed, PhD student, and PAYE during the last five years; I am planning to get a letter from the university where I did my PhD, collection of P60s (from teaching at the uni, so relatively low-income) and evidence from self-assessment. Does this sound like enough? Yes. PhD letter, P60 and SA302 + tax return, one per year.

- because I have been self-employed, the application requires the 'most recent tax year account statement and corresponding HMRC tax return as proof of self-employment'.  I can get the tax return online - the pdf has a giant digital stamp across it saying 'copy only do not send to hmrc'; will this be accepted? For the tax year account statement: is this the SA302? Do I just print it from my profile? Is there a different doc HMRC issues I am missing? That is what I have sent and it was accepted. You are sending it to UKVI, not HMRC, different departments.

- In general terms, does the home office accept print outs from HMRC - given self-assessment stuff is all online? Yes, though you won't need to print anything, you will upload all your evidence online.

Appreciate your help!
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

culka11
Newly Registered

Post by culka11 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:37 pm

Thank you both! This is helpful and very reassuring.

One last question: do you think i need to submit the self assessment return for 2023-2024 before applying? (The tax year just ended, so while I have until January, it is possible to submit now as well. I just rather would not if not necessary - I do have other proof of residence.)

Thank you!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:42 pm

culka11 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:37 pm
Thank you both! This is helpful and very reassuring.

One last question: do you think i need to submit the self assessment return for 2023-2024 before applying? (The tax year just ended, so while I have until January, it is possible to submit now as well. I just rather would not if not necessary - I do have other proof of residence.)

Thank you!
If you are self employed, yes. File your taxes now and submit the 23/24 tax return with your application.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

culka11
Newly Registered

Post by culka11 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:45 pm

Argh but to know - thank you again!