ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming UC (housing benefit) with wife and child on NRPF condition

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

raheem_ehsan
United Kingdom

Claiming UC (housing benefit) with wife and child on NRPF condition

Post by raheem_ehsan » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:39 am

Dear Experts,

I have small query. Since my previous employer went insolvent, I have now been working for another employer but with much less salary. It is becoming very difficult to keep up with expenditure in London to live with a family of two children. I am now considering the option of applying for UC (housing benefit) if possible without affecting my wife and elder child's ILR early next year until I improve my skills and change my creer to a higher paying job :(

My younger child and myself are British citizen now.

My current tenenacy agreement has only my name but I will be moving out very soon and the new tenancy agreement will likely to have my wife's name on the contract.

I understand that my wife's earnings will be taken into account and she will have to create an account for UC. she is self employed at the moment to help with the expenses.

1) Can I apply for UC without affecting their ILR application?
2) How can I make sure that I do not get any extra payment due to her being an applicant along with me for UC
3) Would it make a difference if my wife is listed on the tenancy agreement document along with me? Although I would be the one taking care of the rent.
4) Are there any benefits under UC that I should make sure to inform authorities that we do not wish to claim in order not to affect their visa?

I would really appreciate your response. Good day!

Thanks, and regards
R

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Claiming UC (housing benefit) with wife and child on NRPF condition

Post by Amber » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:37 pm

You can claim UC as you’re British, it should not effect your wife’s settlement insofar as no additional benefits are paid in respect of her, assuming you will not have other tenants on the tenancy but for you and your wife, that should be ok. Your older child, I assume has NRPF, there is a potential getting a child element (or child benefit) or a bedroom allowance under UC for them could breach their restrictions, however, in practice I’ve never witnessed that happen.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.