ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Professinal Referee

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

uhd4k
New Zealand

Professinal Referee

Post by uhd4k » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:20 am

Hi,

I was filling out the form to apply for Citizenship when I tripped at the referees' requirement section.

For the 1st referee, it is easy. My boss is British, over 25 year old, and has known me for more than 3 years.

For the second referee, and in short, I don't have a GP, or a nurse, or a dentist, or a teacher, or a business owner, or an engineer who has known me for 3 years and is willing to share their passport detail and sign a document threatening them with jail if they get it wrong. Those I asked declined. It seems they have to know you well to trust you, and not just know your name and face.

The only professional I could find is an IT co-worker who is a member of the British Computer Society (BCS). BCS is the chartered institute for IT in the UK, according to Wikipedia at least (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Computer_Society).

Would this work for the 2nd referee?

Thanks for the help.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Professinal Referee

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:24 am

uhd4k wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:20 am
Hi,

I was filling out the form to apply for Citizenship when I tripped at the referees' requirement section.

For the 1st referee, it is easy. My boss is British, over 25 year old, and has known me for more than 3 years.

For the second referee, and in short, I don't have a GP, or a nurse, or a dentist, or a teacher, or a business owner, or an engineer who has known me for 3 years and is willing to share their passport detail and sign a document threatening them with jail if they get it wrong. Those I asked declined. It seems they have to know you well to trust you, and not just know your name and face.

The only professional I could find is an IT co-worker who is a member of the British Computer Society (BCS). BCS is the chartered institute for IT in the UK, according to Wikipedia at least (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Computer_Society).

Would this work for the 2nd referee? Yes it will work

Thanks for the help.

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:48 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:24 am
uhd4k wrote:
Thanks for the answer. One more question, please. Do referees need to actually sign the back of the photos or can I send them the document electronically with the photo being part of the PDF, and they'd return a PDF with their signature in it?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:20 am

Not necessary, back of photo signature goes back to the paper days. Sending electronically is fine.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 am

uhd4k wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:48 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:24 am
uhd4k wrote:
Thanks for the answer. One more question, please. Do referees need to actually sign the back of the photos or can I send them the document electronically with the photo being part of the PDF, and they'd return a PDF with their signature in it?
Yes, all fine. the signature has to be consistent with what appears on the passport (not typed).
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:32 pm

Back of photos are not required to be signed any more.

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:31 am

And now I am confused about the fee. :?

The fee in my application was showing £1,580 just a couple of days ago, but now it is showing £1,630. Any idea why? Looking at guidance, I actually find both values on the gov website:

1- Naturalisation (British citizenship) from 31 January 2024: £1,500 + £80 for biometrics
2- "Apply for citizenship if you have indefinite leave to remain or 'settled status' ": £1,630

Link 1: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ationality

Link 2: https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... -to-remain

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:16 am

£80 was the ceremony fee, now increased to £130, earlier this month.
Biometrics UKVCAS charge is separate, free if you can get a free appointment.
announces/fees-2018-t228357.html#p2155219
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:43 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:16 am
£80 was the ceremony fee, now increased to £130, earlier this month.
Biometrics UKVCAS charge is separate, free if you can get a free appointment.
announces/fees-2018-t228357.html#p2155219
Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.