ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name before after naturlisation and before first British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Galy2023
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Change of name before after naturlisation and before first British Passport

Post by Galy2023 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:11 am

Good morning all.

I have just received an email from Atlas to say my application for naturalisation has been successful and need to arrange a citizenship ceremony.

However, I would like to change my name before applying for my first passport.

I was wondering if I could attend ceremony, then change my name through a deed pol/driving license. And then apply for my first passport or is there any other options that you guys are aware of and more straightforward?

Thanks in advance

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Change of name before after naturlisation and before first British Passport

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:56 pm

Yes you can change your name by deed poll after you get your naturalisation certificate.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:03 pm

Note that you will need to change your name on any non-British passport before applying for a British passport in a different name.

HMPO will not issue a passport with a different name from that of any other passport that you may have.

Note that to apply for a British passport, you need to submit the originals of all your uncancelled passports, including expired passports.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Galy2023
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Galy2023 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:56 pm
Yes you can change your name by deed poll after you get your naturalisation certificate.
So I can change my name by deed poll after citizenship ceremony and apply for my first passport after?

I dont have any other passport. Only BRP which has now expired as a result of becoming a British citizen

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am

Do you not have any current passports from other countries? In that case it should be fine but make sure to explain in a cover note.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Galy2023
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Galy2023 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am
Do you not have any current passports from other countries? In that case it should be fine but make sure to explain in a cover note.
No I dont. I have been using UK travel documents (all of which are now expired) for the past 15 years and never had any passport from my country of origin.

So just to double check.

-Attend to citizenship ceremony and receive certificate.
-Change name by deed poll
-Change name on Driving License
-Apply for first British Passport using the new name?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:43 pm

I would say that sounds sensible.