ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship by Double Descent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Aaronben
Newly Registered
Israel

British citizenship by Double Descent

Post by Aaronben » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 pm

Hi,
I was born in 1981 in Israel, my father was born in 1935 in Palestine under British mandate, my grandfather was born in the UK in 1902, he was married to my grandmother at the time of my fathers birth. My grandfather was an inspector of schools for the British Mandate Government at the time of my father's birth. I have my grandfather's birth and marriage certificates but the GRO could not find my fathers birth certificate, I am looking for it now in the Israeli Mandate archives. As I understand, I need to prove that my grandfather was in British government service in order for my father's birth to be considered as on UK soil, how can I prove that ? Where can I look for such a proof ? I understand that the appointment should have been made in the UK for my father's birth to be considered as on UK soil, I suspect that since my grandfather was already living in Palestine for many years when he got the appointment, it was probably made
in Palestine, if that is so, does it null the option of my father being a British citizen otherwise than by descent ?

Thank you,

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: British citizenship by Double Descent

Post by Amber » Thu May 02, 2024 5:21 am

I suggest contacting the British Embassy in Israel they may be able to help find your evidence - https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/ ... y-tel-aviv
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

razergd1
Israel

Re: British citizenship by Double Descent

Post by razergd1 » Sun May 05, 2024 12:15 am

For your father's birth certificate you can look in the Israeli archives 'ginzach hamedina' if you can't find it there then you can try to rely on an extract from the population registry 'tamtsit rishum'.
Otherwise, the state of Israel do not issue birth certificates for people born outside it's territory. I have 2 children born in the UK and both my parents were not born in Israel so the only thing I can get for them is 'tamtsit rishum' it is enough for most purposes.
As you father was born in the British Mandate, even if the record is lost (which is the case for most people born at that period) you may apply for a family court to rewrite but you will have to run a full trial with evidence.

As for your British nationality status, I think you should either consult a solicitor or do some research as each generation in your family was born under different legislation.
For my understanding of British history. Prior to 1914 there was no British nationality law so your grandfather was a British subject under common law. When your father was born the British subjects and aliens act of 1914 was in force and when you were born the 1949 British nationality act.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.
I take no responsibility for following them.