ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Readmission - the purpose of settlement requirement removed?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tempacc0o1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

ILR Readmission - the purpose of settlement requirement removed?

Post by tempacc0o1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:57 am

A family member recently flew back to the UK, and the border force officer was quite chatty. They mentioned that they used to ask whether an ILR holder actually intends to come back and settle in the UK but "don't check this anymore."

I looked up the immigration rules and the returning residents guidelines, and there is no longer any reference to making sure a non-lapsing ILR holder is returning to settle in the UK, and paragraph 18 is also entirely removed. The new Appendix Returning Resident does not contain any similar provisions.

Does this mean reentry for ILR holder whose been away for less than 2 years is guaranteed (and short visits to keep ILR current is now fair game)?

Or did I miss another part of the law/rules that are relevant?

razergd1
Israel

Re: ILR Readmission - the purpose of settlement requirement removed?

Post by razergd1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:25 am

Can you reference what you have seen? Usually, the guidance will have an errata which lists all the changes. So check what was the update between the previous and current version.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.
I take no responsibility for following them.