ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Citizen Settled Status, spouse and baby abroad

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Yaasamii
Newly Registered
France

EU Citizen Settled Status, spouse and baby abroad

Post by Yaasamii » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 am

Hi,

I am a dual citizen from both France and Algeria but born and raised in the UK and have settled status under the EU settlement scheme.

I got married to my non EU husband in June 2021 but had been with him since 2018 but still lived in the UK. I had been visiting and coming back to the UK, doing long distance until I got pregnant in 2023.

The pregnancy was hard and high risk that I couldn't leave Algeria without risk of losing my child so I've stayed until now. I've only just recovered.

I'm going back to the UK at the end of the month and taking my son with me.

My son has both Algerian and french citizenship, holding both passports.

Can I add him to my Settled status? Is there a way I could bring my husband to join us in the UK? What can I do to reunite my family together without having to live abroad and risk losing my settled status.

blondesafari

Re: EU Citizen Settled Status, spouse and baby abroad

Post by blondesafari » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 am

You can’t just take your son with you to live with you. He will need a visa to reside in the U.K. You will have to apply for this beforehand.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:00 am

Yaasamii wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 am
I got married to my non EU husband in June 2021 but had been with him since 2018 but still lived in the UK.
Did you live with him in "a relationship akin to marriage", with shared finances in the same place, for at least two years before 31st December 2020?

As for your son, I think you will need to apply for an EUSS family permit before you bring them. Wait for others to advise on this point.

At the very least, after coming to the UK, you will need to apply for Pre-Settled Status for them.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 am

@secret.simon, see also related topic.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 am

@vinny, can the child not apply for pre-settled status (assuming that they are not a British citizen by descent)?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 am

Perhaps possible? I wasn’t aware of their marriage and relationship details previously.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:08 am

However, they may not accept a relationship as durable without a relevant document?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:20 am

vinny wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:08 am
However, they may not accept a relationship as durable without a relevant document?
I think so too. I was just thinking out aloud and exploring that possibility.

Yaasamii
Newly Registered
France

Post by Yaasamii » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:00 am
Yaasamii wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 am
I got married to my non EU husband in June 2021 but had been with him since 2018 but still lived in the UK.
Did you live with him in "a relationship akin to marriage", with shared finances in the same place, for at least two years before 31st December 2020?

As for your son, I think you will need to apply for an EUSS family permit before you bring them. Wait for others to advise on this point.

At the very least, after coming to the UK, you will need to apply for Pre-Settled Status for them.

No I had not lived with him as I was studying at the time and working. We were doing long distance and with COVID we couldn't get married prior to December 2020, even though we were Islamically married in 2019. Which I know isn't plausible under UK law as 'married'.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm

Yaasamii wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 pm
No I had not lived with him as I was studying at the time and working. We were doing long distance and with COVID we couldn't get married prior to December 2020, even though we were Islamically married in 2019. Which I know isn't plausible under UK law as 'married'.
OK. In that case, you'll need to sponsor your spouse on the same basis as a British citizen.

You will need to demonstrate an annual income of £29,000 per annum in the UK over at least six months.