ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to submit citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

NormaG
Newly Registered
Nigeria

When to submit citizenship application

Post by NormaG » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am

Hello all,

I have searched through previous threads and can’t seem to find answers to my question.
I was granted Tier 2 visa now skilled worker visa
Here’s my timeline.
Date on visa vignette- 6/5/2019
Date of arrival in UK- 8/5/2019
Date of ILR issue- 14/4/2024
Note that I’m married to a British citizen for 6 years. However my route to ILR is via skilled worker visa.
My question is, when can I apply for citizenship?

Thank you for all your amazing work so far

alterhase58
Germany

Re: When to submit citizenship application

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:31 am

You can apply now as spouse of British citizen subject to all requirements met.

Visa Route to ILR is not relevant.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

NormaG
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by NormaG » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:34 am

Thank you for your swift response.
Could I apply now even though I would not have been physically present in the UK for 5 years until 8/5/2024?
I ask because when filling the application form it asked for my 5year address history

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:30 am

From the AN Guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... accessible
Quote extract:
"2.1 Check you meet and understand the requirements before you submit your application. You must:

Have lived in the UK lawfully for the required time period (5 years, or 3 years if the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen), without excess absences. You can meet the lawful residence requirement if you have indefinite leave in the UK."

Have been in the UK on the first day of the qualifying period. This will be either 5 or 3 years before the date on which you apply."

Just give the address history as is - if you apply as spouse of BC.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

NormaG
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by NormaG » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:40 pm

Thank you once again I’ll go ahead and apply now

Nur11
Newly Registered
Morocco

Post by Nur11 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:02 pm

Hello Norma,
can you tell me more about your situation with ILR as I am in a similar position. Did you submit your application beyond the 28 days and booked your biometrics within that period and it got approved no issues? thanks a lot

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:15 pm

Nur11 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:02 pm
Hello Norma,
can you tell me more about your situation with ILR as I am in a similar position. Did you submit your application beyond the 28 days and booked your biometrics within that period and it got approved no issues? thanks a lot
OP is applying for naturalisation not for ILR.

NormaG
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by NormaG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:59 am

Hi Nur11. Yes I submitted my ILR application online before the 28days concession to my qualifying date (precisely 11days prior to 28days concession) and booked my biometrics within the 28 days concession (precisely 26days to my qualifying date). I booked priority service and my application was granted within 4 days. I hope this helps.
I understand this is a naturalisation thread but I had to reply on here because you asked the question here

NormaG
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by NormaG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:00 am

Hi Nur11. Yes I submitted my ILR application online before the 28days concession to my qualifying date (precisely 11days prior to 28days concession) and booked my biometrics within the 28 days concession (precisely 26days to my qualifying date). I booked priority service and my application was granted within 4 days. I hope this helps.
I understand this is a naturalisation thread but I had to reply on here because you asked the question here

Nur11
Newly Registered
Morocco

Post by Nur11 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:55 pm

Thank you so much, NormaG; I am in the same position because my dependent's visa will expire at around the same time frame as yours, but I will be completing the 5 years by then and want to include them in my application and delay the biometrics instead of paying for an extension. Was your visa valid after you applied early, or did you apply because it was about to expire?
Thank you so much!

NormaG
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by NormaG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:11 pm

My visa was still valid. It still had over 2months before expiration. I just applied when I did because I wanted to secure a biometric date on the exact day that I qualified.