ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation with criminal record

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

funia991
Newly Registered
Poland

Naturalisation with criminal record

Post by funia991 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:50 am

Hi all,
This will be a bit lengthy and this is written on behalf of my fiancee.
My fiancee has came to Ireland as a child since 2004 and is declared as a Refugee. Just to give a little background but I doubt it will change anything, he had a very rough childhood I dont want to give out too much details.

He has been working since he was 16 or 17 while he was attending school and even had 2 jobs at some stage. He has applied twice for Naturalisation but has been refused twice. First, his mother applied on his behalf as he was a minor got refused, the second reason being his signature did not match which I still find hard to believe when he got refused second time.

However he sent off his application again in November 2021. From that time ,he has been sent at least 3 or 4 Garda Vettings which he sent back straight away with the details, different letters to prove his addresses which was provided and a Certified copy of his Travel Document which also was provided. Just a few days ago, he received a letter with his Garda Vetting Report attached from the Department which states he has a criminal record back from 2016 for Burglury which he mentioned in his application.

In the letter it states: "The purpose of this letter is to allow you an opportunity to provide within 28 days of the date of this letter, any relevant factual and/or contextual information in connection with the matter outlined in the Garda Vetting Report, as well as any submissions you may wish to to make as to the basis upon which these matters should now be assessed in deciding whether you are of good character"

Could somebody please explain to me what should be done in this case? Should a letter be written? Or if somebody had a similar situation? I will be very grateful for any information given. If something is unclear please let me know :)

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Naturalisation with criminal record

Post by Vadrar » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:57 am

With two rejections and a criminal record this might be a case for a lawyer who has successfully supported applicants with a criminal record. (Not just any lawyer - you should ensure they have a success record for this situation of at least 3 cases.)

If you don’t go that route you should submit a letter of remorse - he is sorry, he recognises it was wrong, he hasn’t done it since, won’t do it again and is now doing a,b,c to contribute quietly to society.

funia991
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by funia991 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:06 pm

Just a small correction sorry..
He has applied 3 times and got rejected 3 times. This is his 4th time applying.

User20123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by User20123 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:56 pm

funia991 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:06 pm
Just a small correction sorry..
He has applied 3 times and got rejected 3 times. This is his 4th time applying.
Don't even risk it. Engage a solicitor asap!!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:30 pm

Burglary is a very serious contradiction to the requirement of being a person of good character. For any visa-required nationals, such criminal record will have been sufficient to prevent them from entering Ireland in the first place, leaving alone giving them an Irish citizenship.

As others have said, you need a letter of remorse at the very least. He needs to explain to the Minister how it happened and why it happened in the first place, and why he should still be considered after this conviction. Just saying he had a rough childhood would not be enough, and will probably only raise more questions. He needs to show genuine regret and remorse, and convinces the Minister that he had since contributed to the society more than other normal people.

Although not strictly necessary, having a solicitor is your best chance in organising a coherent response to the MInister.