ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Children Citizenship - Born Inside the the UK and Outside the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Faqasim
Jordan

Children Citizenship - Born Inside the the UK and Outside the UK

Post by Faqasim » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 am

Hello Team,

I hope all is well.

I am trying to understand the consequences of having our child born outside the UK due to some work commitment that would require us to relocate outside the UK temporarily.

Bit of context:
I was granted ILR in 2023, and Citizenship in April 2024. My wife is still pending citizenship application.

I have one kid that was born in 2019 inside the UK, and another expected to be born later this year (2024) outside the UK.

My questions are:

1. For the kid born 2019 inside the UK, he applied for MN1 once I was granted ILR, and he got his naturalisation certificate and passport. Does he have the right to pass the citizenship to his kids (my grandchildren)? Is it the same if they (grandchildren) are born:
(A) inside the UK? If yes, would they be British automatically, or need to apply?
(B) outside the UK? If yes, would they be British automatically, or need to apply?

2. For the kid to be born 2024 outside the UK, I understand he is British citizen by descent, and he should just apply for passport once born at HMPO. Right?

3. For the kid to be born 2024 outside the UK, I understand he is British citizen by descent. Does he have the right to pass the citizenship to his kids (my grandchildren)? Is it the same if they (grandchildren) are born:
(A) inside the UK? If yes, would they be British automatically, or need to apply?
(B) outside the UK? If yes, would they be British automatically, or need to apply?

I appreciate your insight. Many thanks :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Children Citizenship - Born Inside the the UK and Outside the UK

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:55 pm

For the kid born 2019 inside the UK, he applied for MN1 once I was granted ILR, and he got his naturalisation certificate and passport. Does he have the right to pass the citizenship to his kids (my grandchildren)?

Yes.
Is it the same if they (grandchildren) are born:
Their children will be British whether born inside the UK or outside the UK. The difference is that their children born OUTSIDE the UK, cannot pass their citizenship on to their children (your great grandchildren).
2. For the kid to be born 2024 outside the UK, I understand he is British citizen by descent, and he should just apply for passport once born at HMPO. Right?
Correct yes and apply directly for a passport.
3. For the kid to be born 2024 outside the UK, I understand he is British citizen by descent. Does he have the right to pass the citizenship to his kids (my grandchildren)? Is it the same if they (grandchildren) are born:
A) Yes.
B) No, they will not be British. Cannot apply for citizenship either. The child would need a visa to enter the UK etc and then qualify through ILR before they can apply for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.