ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need advice with my Tier 2 situation

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MisfitMeL

Need advice with my Tier 2 situation

Post by MisfitMeL » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply for the new Tier 2 work permit and I'm looking for advice and opinions from people as I couldn't find specific info relating to my situation.

This might be a long winded post but please bear with me!

I have been in the UK since Sept 2005. I did a one year Masters course in Computer Science and after that switched to the Fresh Talent Scotland scheme.

Finding a job was very hard but fortunately, I started work mid Nov 2008. My Fresh Talent visa is due to expire in July 2009 so I'm starting to stress out about switching into another category.

I tried the points calculator for the Tier 1 and Tier 2 categories and I fulfilled all the requirements except the earnings section.

I'm currently on less than 16k a year. I've only started working in Nov 08 so I don't have the annual salary to show for if I wanted the Tier 1 visa. However, even if my projected annual earnings was taken into consideration, it still wouldn't be sufficient as I need to have 20k or more and I am no where near that amount!

Next issue, I will have completed 6 months working for my current employer in May and according to the Immigration website, this means I can claim 30 points and they don't have to go through the resident labour market test. Fabby!!
However, I work for a well known company through an agency. I'm actually hired by the agency as a contractor to the company. The agency does my PAYE and NI along with my salary. So, to get a license + certificate of sponsorship, who do I approach - the agency, the company, or both? It is a long term contract with no specific end time and many of
the other contractors have been around for 2+ years. Some have even gone on to become permanent employees for the company. Would all of that be considered valid by the Immigration office?

So, I guess in short, the main questions are:-

Is there a way to overcome my deficient earnings? Perhaps taking a second job?

Or does it all boil down to finding an employer who is willing to pay me 20k or more AND sponsor my visa?

Does it matter that I work for an agency and who should be responsible for my Tier 2 visa?

Is it very hard to find an employer that will sponsor you? Everything I have come across so far is very bleak and depressing.

I really want the Tier 1 visa but I don't earn enough. That leaves me with the Tier 2 option and I still don't earn enough and need this agency/company to agree to sponsor me or find a new sponsor. Has anyone else been in such a situation?

I hope someone can help :(

Thanks in advance!

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:03 am

Anyone? :(

Even if you have an idea about some of the questions, any input would be most appreciated!

traveller1973
Newly Registered

Post by traveller1973 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:24 pm

I think you have answered your own question with regards to earnings.

With regards to the agency v company issue, is the agency any way connected to the main company? Or are they separate entities? From my understanding the company will need to be your sponsor NOT the agency.

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:05 pm

traveller1973 wrote:I think you have answered your own question with regards to earnings.

With regards to the agency v company issue, is the agency any way connected to the main company? Or are they separate entities? From my understanding the company will need to be your sponsor NOT the agency.

Thanks for the reply traveller1973!!

I don't think I'll be able to scrape up about 15k in 3-4 months time :( unless I sell an organ or two? :lol:

Everything I have read so far about finding employers who will sponsor you sounds incredibly hard, unless you are quite experienced and valuable, in which case, you probably wont need a sponsor in the first place! I really don't know how to go about finding a company that is happy to pay me 20+k and sponsor me!

I don't think the agency is connected to the main company in any way, other than the company hires the agency to find contractors to do the needed jobs and pays them for it. In turn the agency pays us and does all the PAYE and NI. An option is to ask the main company if they will take me on as a permanent staff of their own, but I'm dreading it as in this current economy, everyone is looking to get rid of people and not hire them... and also, this is my first job so I'm not really all that experienced which doesnt make me a prize catch to most employers. I don't know the trick to keep their attention long enough to convince them I'd be good in the long run :(

I was hoping there might be people here who have has similar situations and could tell me about their experiences and how they were successful (or not!).