ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What visa can dependent switch to if I get ILR

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

GrimAI
Newly Registered
India

What visa can dependent switch to if I get ILR

Post by GrimAI » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:40 am

Hello,

I am eligible for ILR in July 2026 with the 5-year route or September 2026 with the 10-year route.

My partner has been living with me in the UK since September 2022 as a dependent on my Skilled Worker visa. I know she's not eligible to apply for ILR until we've lived together in the UK for 5 years (so 2027).

After I get my ILR in 2026, what visa will she need to switch to in order to remain in the UK? I assume she can't stay on a dependent visa or is there a way to get an extension on it while I'm on ILR?

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: What visa can dependent switch to if I get ILR

Post by lolo2 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:37 am

Your partner don't need to switch to any other visa, she can stay as a dependant of a skilled worker even after the main applicant gets ILR.

Remember that the immigration rules are constantly changing (there are general elections in the UK in a few months), and such rules might not be the same in 2026!