ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time Spent Outside UK.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hmn2905
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Proof of No British Citizenship

Post by hmn2905 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:49 am

Hello,

I need to get a letter proving that I have not obtained British citizenship (form NQ). See link below. I need this to get a document from my home country embassy.

If I get this letter will there be any rule or such preventing me from applying for British citizenship?

Could I, in theory, make an application for British citizenship the day after receiving the letter?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ip-form-nq

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Proof of No British Citizenship

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:58 am

Can't see why it would make you ineligible, you are just asking for proof of your status. Completely unrelated to a citizenship application.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

hmn2905
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Time Spent Outside UK.

Post by hmn2905 » Thu May 09, 2024 8:47 pm

Hello,

I saw the below requirement on Gov.uk for applying for citizenship in the UK after ILR for more than 1 year.

"You should not have:
spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the 5 years before your application
spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months"

With regards to the 2nd requirement, if I have the following example:

Jan 2024 - 20 days outside UK
April - June 2024 - 60 days outside UK
October 2024 - 15 days outside UK

Total = 95 days outside UK which is more than 90 days.

Would this invalidate my right to apply for naturalisation?

or

Does this mean I have to wait till February 2025 before I apply for naturalisation so that the total number of days outside the UK is not more than 90 days in the last 12 months?

Really appreciate any help on this!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Time Spent Outside UK.

Post by contorted_svy » Thu May 09, 2024 8:54 pm

Up to 100 days of absence in the last 12 months are normally disregarded (if all other requirements are met).
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

hmn2905
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Post by hmn2905 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:39 pm

Thank you for the response.

But if its more than 100 days does it invalidate your right to apply or do you have to wait till there is a period of 12months where you have been out of the UK for less than 100days before you apply?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri May 10, 2024 4:24 pm

You would need to prove your strong links to the UK for absences up to 180 days in the last 12 months. However, I must say I do not understand the point of your question as you are under that limit.

hmn2905
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Post by hmn2905 » Fri May 10, 2024 11:31 pm

Thanks again for the response.

My question was based on a hypothetical set of numbers. Essentially I am planning to apply for naturalisation end of the year IA and so was trying to understand this requirement clearly.

Because if I took a few too many holidays between now and end of the year, I might have spent more than 100 days outside the UK. So I am just trying to understand if that would mean that it invalidates my right to apply or it means that I have to delay my application.

Like for example, if instead of December 2024, I applied in August 2025 then alot of my time out of the UK in 2024 would not count if you only look at the last 12 months.

I hope you understand where I am coming from.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat May 11, 2024 8:08 am

You could still apply if you had between 100-180 days of absence in the last 12 months, but you would need to show strong links to the UK through having established your family, employment, finances and estate in the UK. That means submitting extra documents, attaching a cover letter and just a bit of extra stress.

Also worth remembering that the day of departure and day of returning do not count towards your total absences.

hmn2905
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Post by hmn2905 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:19 pm

Thanks again for responding.

I guess another option could be delay applying for naturalisation till you reach a point where the previous 12 months specifically I have not spent more than 90 days outside the UK.

So in my example wait till Aug 2025 and then apply for example.

This could work as well right?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:34 pm

That's perfectly ok - there's no compulsion to apply - in my case I waited 30 years after becoming eligible.....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat May 11, 2024 4:46 pm

hmn2905 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:19 pm
Thanks again for responding.

I guess another option could be delay applying for naturalisation till you reach a point where the previous 12 months specifically I have not spent more than 90 days outside the UK.

So in my example wait till Aug 2025 and then apply for example.

This could work as well right?
That would be fine. As I stated, up to 100 days of absence in the last 12 months are normally disregarded, if that can inform your plans in any way.