ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is there any single person here who was able to get naturalised in just 6 years living in Ireland?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

TAA20231207
Newly Registered
Ireland

Is there any single person here who was able to get naturalised in just 6 years living in Ireland?

Post by TAA20231207 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:05 pm

(5 years for eligibility and roughly a year for application to be finalised)

I've been in Ireland for 4 years and I'm preparing to commit the next 365 days of no-leaving Ireland rule to be eligible to apply for naturalisation. I barely left the country every year (not exceeding 2 weeks).

However, just reading and hearing some anecdotes, some naturalised citizens waited for 10 years or more before they applied and I wonder what's the usual reason for this? 5 years residency seems easy enough to comply but why did they wait for 10 years or more?

I'm already made aware that the application itself could take 18 months to 2 years or in worse case even more so I'm not referring to this.

Just wanted to know if it is really possible to apply in just 5 years? Has anyone here who is single successfully done this? Thanks!

I'm just having a dilemma and trying to gauge what to do because I've also been recently granted an Australian PR (190) which I have to use until 2029.

I am choosing Ireland because I am so close to earning the minimum residency requirement but I am getting worried from the stories of others who lived in Ireland for 10 years before they applied for citizenship.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Is there any single person here who was able to get naturalised in just 6 years living in Ireland?

Post by meself2 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:16 pm

I did. A number of people that I know did.

You're overthinking, honestly. 5 years is enough.
Just keep in mind it's another year or two between submission and getting the decision (and if you're not in country/IRP expires, they might withdraw your application).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Is there any single person here who was able to get naturalised in just 6 years living in Ireland?

Post by littlerr » Fri May 10, 2024 11:22 pm

I applied on the day of my fifth anniversary even though it was a Saturday and had to pay a solicitor the weekend rate to get the documents stamped and signed :D My application was approved in around 8 - 9 months.

Unlike countries like Switzerland where the whole thing is up to how integrated you are in the local community and can be extremely subjective, in Ireland it’s a simple rule of checking whether you have been living in Ireland for 5 (or 3) years.

5 years or 50 years, there’s really no difference. Staff there simply stares at question 1 in their checklist - has this person got 5 years of residency, and once they tick the box, it’s done. There’s very little subjective judgment during this process (unless you had been using social benefits or had some convictions in the past). They just tick all the boxes and that’s it.

Patka248
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Patka248 » Sat May 11, 2024 9:05 am

FYI you're allowed to leave the country in the last 365 days, just not more than 6 weeks. There was a court case about this a while back https://www.asylumlawdatabase.eu/en/con ... ing%20year.