ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query reg MN1 registration for my non UK born child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alakay
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Query reg MN1 registration for my non UK born child

Post by alakay » Thu May 16, 2024 7:40 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the process of applying for my husband and stepson’s British Naturalization applications. Both have been granted ILR. As I am British citizen by birth he can apply for naturalization immediately. As my stepson is under 18 years old, we will be applying to register him for British citizenship.
He was born outside of the UK with no parents who were British citizens.

I have added my stepson’s application for registering him along with my husband’s application which gives me the below option

Consideration under British Nationality Act
Choose which category to apply under. You are a child under 18 and:
(Required)
You were born in the UK
You were born outside the UK

Also, for child application, it is suggested to use they teachers as referees as they know the child. We have approached his teachers, and we have found that none of the teachers were happy to share they details as a referee because the application is done online, and they feel it has safeguarding issues with sharing sensitive information.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Query reg MN1 registration for my non UK born child

Post by contorted_svy » Thu May 16, 2024 10:09 pm

Where was child born? Select appropriate option.
it is a well known fact by UKVI that teachers don't agree to be referees for children. You can use the same referees for your husband (provided they know your child) and explain in a cover note. You can attach correspondence with them if it is in an email.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

alakay
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alakay » Fri May 17, 2024 8:18 am

He was born in India. The reason I am asking this is because i want to know do I have to register him separate using the MN1 form and selecting the 3(1) option or do i add him with my husband's application because with that they is only 2 options which asks "born in the uk or born outside uk" ?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri May 17, 2024 8:57 am

You can add him to your husband's application. It will be a completely new application for which you have to select the correct set of options and the system will automatically select the MN1 form. If you completed your husband's application draft, select "add another applicant" and to the question "born in or outside the UK" select the option "born outside the UK" as I previously stated.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

alakay
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alakay » Fri May 17, 2024 5:24 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I added my stepson on my husband's application where it says add another applicant.

Further What documentation do we need to send when asked to show proof of parental responsibility. My stepson’s birth certificate has my husband’s name on it, but it won't have mine. Also, is they a particular document that proves parental responsibility, which we have to send?

My husband is his biological legal parent, and I am his step mother and we selected that on the application where it asks for details of parents. I am looking after him though. If a consent letter is required, would it be accepted signed by me and my husband?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:43 pm

Step parent is irrelevant in citizenship law. The child’s ability to register as British is solely based on his biological parent being successful at the same time.

Where is the childs mother? What evidence was used to obtain a visa for the child to live in the uk?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alakay
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alakay » Fri May 17, 2024 7:20 pm

Both biological parents are divorced and my husband has a child arrangement in place where he has sole custody of my stepson and we provided this order to obtain the visa for the child to live in the UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 18, 2024 4:20 pm

You will need to submit the same evidence to register the child without the other parents consent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alakay
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alakay » Sat May 18, 2024 8:07 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I will submit the same evidence to register the child and what evidence should we submit for the step mother proof of parental responsibility as its asking for it.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:30 pm

alakay wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 8:07 pm
Thanks for your reply.
I will submit the same evidence to register the child and what evidence should we submit for the step mother proof of parental responsibility as its asking for it.
I reiterate, the childs Step Parent is completely IRRELEVANT to the child's citizenship application. What exactly, is the question asking?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

alakay
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alakay » Mon May 20, 2024 10:28 am

Parent or legal guardian details

I have added my husbands details as the biological parent, it then asks "Which parent or legal guardian would you like to add details about?"
I have added my details and selected "step mother".

So, at the end in the documents section, it says to provide proof of documentation as below:

Proof of parental responsibility from biological parent
The evidence we would provide is the sole custody child arrangement order like you said.

Now

Proof of parental responsibility from step mother what evidence to provide ?
as I added above in the section where it says which parent or legal guardian would like to add details about?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 11:31 am

If you are not a legal guardian or parent through adoption your details are not required.

alakay
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alakay » Mon May 20, 2024 6:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciated.

I removed the other parent or legal guardian details. (stepmother)
And its isn't asking for any proof of parental responsibility from the step mother now

But still its asking to provide the evidence which states below:

If the child told us that their parent is a British citizen then you must provide us evidence of their citizenship. This could include their British passport, a certificate of citizenship or their birth certificate.

So do I need to provide my passport as I am his step mother (British Citizen) as an evidence for the above section.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 7:05 pm

Unless you adopt him he is not legally your son and he can't claim citizenship through you (even if he was, a specific timeline would need to have been respected as per to when you became a British citizen unless you are one from birth). His clam to British citizenship is under Section 3(1) with his father with ILR and not through you.