ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship and Dependent Settlement from Different Visa Routes (GTV and Student Visa)

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

joshg24
Newly Registered
Nigeria

British Citizenship and Dependent Settlement from Different Visa Routes (GTV and Student Visa)

Post by joshg24 » Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:39 am

Dear Moderator,

I am resident in the UK with my wife and children. My wife is resident with a Student Visa (Oct 2023) and my 3 children and I came as her dependents in Dec 2023. But I switched from being a dependent on her Student Visa and acquired a Global Talent (Exceptional Promise in Science) in May 2024. I applied alone for a-3 year run, hoping to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after spending a continuous period of 3-years in the UK.

Considering the fact that my wife is currently on a PhD, I will not be able to switch her to GT visa as a dependent until after 2 years into the study. A wise thing to do is to switch her and the children at the same time. By the end of her second year into PhD, that is, October 2025, I will have spent 1 year 5 months in the GT visa. They will then have 1 year 7 months to stay on GT before I apply for my ILR. They will need an extension of 3 years 7 months to complete the 5 year requirement if her time on student visa will not count toward ILR.
Considering the financial requirements for switching them and this back and forth… I have these questions to ask and need counsel.

1. First, I want to know if all the premises I stated above are correct or I have got anything wrong so
far?
2. Will I be applying for British Citizenship at the end of the 4th year, that is, 1 year after ILR or at the
end of 5th year, which is 2 years after ILR?
3. Will it be possible for my family to join me once I have ILR or when getting my British citizenship
without having to switch their current student visa? I heard someone say that I can bring them on
appendix FM……. Is there any way I can avoid switching them and still settle within the shortest time?
4. What will be the shortest and most cost effective route for them to settle?

:? Please I need your brotherly counsel.

Thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship and Dependent Settlement from Different Visa Routes (GTV and Student Visa)

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:52 am

1. First, I want to know if all the premises I stated above are correct or I have got anything wrong so
far?
They need 5 years as your dependents. If you do as you have stated, they will need 2 x 3 year visa extensions. There isn't a 3 year 7 month extension option.
2. Will I be applying for British Citizenship at the end of the 4th year, that is, 1 year after ILR or at the
end of 5th year, which is 2 years after ILR?
You need 5 years residence in total from date you entered the UK on a visa. This must include 1 year ilr.
3. Will it be possible for my family to join me once I have ILR or when getting my British citizenship
without having to switch their current student visa? I heard someone say that I can bring them on
appendix FM……. Is there any way I can avoid switching them and still settle within the shortest time?
They can switch once you have ILR yes, a route that has more requirements and is a 2.5 x 2 year visa route.
4. What will be the shortest and most cost effective route for them to settle?
There isn't one. They need 5 years as your dependents for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

joshg24
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Re: British Citizenship and Dependent Settlement from Different Visa Routes (GTV and Student Visa)

Post by joshg24 » Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:31 am

Thanks Moderator for the speedy reply

“They need 5 years as your dependents. If you do as you have stated, they will need 2 x 3 year visa extensions. There isn't a 3 year 7 month extension option.”

Considering the situation now, how do I go about their application as dependents by October 2025, knowing that their visa will terminate when mine expires, totalling 1 year 7 months? Do you mean I will after that apply for 3 year extension and then again another 3 years making a total of 7 years 7 months stay? How do I go about the HIS because that is my major challenge financial-wise? I need clarifications here.

“You need 5 years residence in total from date you entered the UK on a visa. This must include 1 year ilr.”

Does my 5 year now include 6 months spent on the former visa which counts on my Citizenship?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:09 pm

Considering the situation now, how do I go about their application as dependents by October 2025, knowing that their visa will terminate when mine expires, totalling 1 year 7 months? Do you mean I will after that apply for 3 year extension and then again another 3 years making a total of 7 years 7 months stay? How do I go about the HIS because that is my major challenge financial-wise? I need clarifications here.
If they switch to your GTV Dependent, at any point, their visas will be valid till your current expiry date. A further extension will also be for 3 years, which would still leave them short for ILR.

If they switch to FLR(M) spouse/child visa once you have ILR, it is a 2.5 year visa and they will need a further 2.5 year visa extension.

IHS is paid for each an every application made. Not sure what you mean by 'how do I go about IHS', there is no work around.
Does my 5 year now include 6 months spent on the former visa which counts on my Citizenship?
All visas and legal time spent in the UK count for citizenship, it is NOT an immigration application and has completely different rules. You will qualify for citizenship on the 5th anniversary of the date you entered the UK in 2028 as long as the 12 months immediately before applying you have held ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

joshg24
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by joshg24 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:10 pm

Many thanks CR001 for your response

"If they switch to your GTV Dependent, at any point, their visas will be valid till your current expiry date. A further extension will also be for 3 years, which would still leave them short for ILR".

But I read extension can be done for 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 years. In which case 1 can go for 4 year extension straightaway after the first application. Is this a possibility?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:46 pm

joshg24 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:10 pm
Many thanks CR001 for your response

"If they switch to your GTV Dependent, at any point, their visas will be valid till your current expiry date. A further extension will also be for 3 years, which would still leave them short for ILR".

But I read extension can be done for 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 years. In which case 1 can go for 4 year extension straightaway after the first application. Is this a possibility?
Not for dependent visa extensions if you get ILR. The immigration rules specifically state it is a 3 year extension for dependents if the main visa holder gets ILR. You don't get to choose the length. UKVI follow the immigration rules strictly in this regard.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

joshg24
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by joshg24 » Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:02 pm

Thanks CR001

Please more clarification needed!

So they will need the 1st 3-year extension, then the 2nd 3-year extension will be made of which they will only need 7 months.

Will it be possible to go ahead just 7 months after the second extension to apply for their ILR, knowing they have already stayed for 5 years on the visa? Will the IHS for the 2 year 5 months unused be refunded?

Or will it make any sense to switch the children as soon as possible such that I will only need to extend theirs once? But I foresee I won't still be able to apply for their ILR without their mum getting hers.

Please your inputs. Thanks