ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Granted With Adverse Criminal History

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fimboz

Citizenship Granted With Adverse Criminal History

Post by fimboz » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:35 pm

I am sharing my story to encourage somebody. I applied for citizenship on the 31st of January 2024 and was approved today even though I have an adverse criminal history. I was convicted for drink driving, driving whilst disqualified and had a three months custody sentence imposed. All my offences happened between 2001 to 2004. I never bothered applying fir citizenship as I felt I had too too many traffic offences.

This January I took a chance applied and included a cover letter stating that I had reformed since there had never been any further arrests since 2004. I wasn't expecting to be granted and was pleasantly surprised. My advice to anyone with adverse criminal history is to make a full disclosure and in your mitigation show them how you have changed.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Citizenship Granted With Adverse Criminal History

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:20 pm

Thank you for sharing. Out of curiosity, did you ever receive a custodial charge, and if so how long was it for? This could help other members.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

fimboz

Post by fimboz » Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:51 am

The custodial sentence was three months.

babar301
Newly Registered

Post by babar301 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:40 am

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your case, I had 3 months custodial conviction, it was more then 19 years ago and only conviction in my record, they rejected my citizenship, I have applied for the reconsideration 2 months ago and still waiting for the outcome.
Your case has given me hope now so fingers crossed.
Thanks

Scotland001
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Scotland001 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:22 am

Hi,

Could you provide details about your criminal conviction, including the original sentence imposed by the court and the amount of time you spent in prison? Were there any other offences after this conviction? Also, did you include a detailed cover letter when applying to UKVI?

babar301
Newly Registered

Post by babar301 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:14 pm

Are you asking me about the prison sentence?

Scotland001
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Scotland001 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:55 pm

babar301 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:14 pm
Are you asking me about the prison sentence?
Yes, Could you provide details about your criminal Offence, including the original total sentence imposed by the court and the amount of time you spent in prison? Were there any other offences after this conviction? Also, did you include a detailed cover letter when applying to UKVI?

babar301
Newly Registered

Post by babar301 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:27 am

It was my only conviction ever, it was to do with the business and selling counterfeit goods, no serious harm or anything involved, I got prison sentence of 6 months , so I did 3 months in the prison, I never wrote any cover letter with the nationality application, I did attach letter from my accountant and attached couple of letters from the charity organisation I work for in the UK.
What is your case and situation?

Scotland001
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Scotland001 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:19 pm

Based on my understanding, under the new good character requirement that took effect on July 31, 2023, any custodial sentence is regarded with considerable gravity, particularly in light of its overall impact.

I recommend composing a detailed cover letter addressed to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) in which you explain the steps you have taken to reform yourself since your conviction. Accompany this letter with supporting evidence that substantiates your reformation efforts, as this can strengthen your application.

Wishing you the very best with your application.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:39 pm

Scotland001 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:19 pm
Based on my understanding, under the new good character requirement that took effect on July 31, 2023, any custodial sentence is regarded with considerable gravity, particularly in light of its overall impact.

I recommend composing a detailed cover letter addressed to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) in which you explain the steps you have taken to reform yourself since your conviction. Accompany this letter with supporting evidence that substantiates your reformation efforts, as this can strengthen your application.

Wishing you the very best with your application.
Are you sharing your background/experiences? You are asking others ....
May help others in a similar position.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.