ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish visa on original passport when apply first passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ganbaaaatar
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish visa on original passport when apply first passport

Post by Ganbaaaatar » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:15 pm

Hello,
I'm about to apply my first Irish passport after naturalisation. I'm curious about my previous long term Irish visa on my original passport. It is currently still valid for 2 years. Will they mark that visa "cancelled" on my original passport when the Irish passport is issued? Does anyone recently applied Irish passport such experience?
Thanks in advance!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Irish visa on original passport when apply first passport

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:16 pm

Not an expert for Ireland questions, but once you become a citizen of a country your visas issued previously in a foreign passport are irrelevant - nationality trumps immigration. Your foreign passport won't be marked in any way as it's the property of a foreign country, at least that's the UK practice.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:54 pm

No. The only purpose of submitting your current passport is to verify your identity. The passport team belongs to DFA, which has nothing to do with INIS.

Ireland is one of the few countries which allow you to use your foreign passport to enter and leave the state. They even have a dedicated Stamp 6 and re-entry visa for this purpose. You are not required to get either of them though. However, you should try and bring a copy of your Irish naturalisation certificate or Irish passport when you enter Ireland to avoid being questioned by border control if you don’t have a Stamp 6 on your foreign passport.

Ganbaaaatar
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ganbaaaatar » Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:32 pm

Thanks a lot for both of your explanations.