ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Early Naturalisation Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

AY025559
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Early Naturalisation Application

Post by AY025559 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:49 pm

Hi,

I am planning to make an early naturalisation application and would like an opinion.

My passport got damaged last week and I have been advised by the embassy that I will not be able to get another passport in the foreseeable future due to political reasons as they have stopped issuing new passports worldwide. I was told that I could instead apply for Home Office travel document.

I was granted ILR in November 2023 and I believe I am not eligible for citizenship yet. However, I did some research and the guidance states that discretion can be applied. I have been living in the UK for the past 11 years with my family and currently a medical student.

Should I wait till November and apply or make an early naturalisation application and request discretion?

I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Early Naturalisation Application

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:57 pm

Discretion on what basis?
Simplest is apply when you qualify and no need to ask for discretion which is just that, discretion. Only 5 months to wait….
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:08 am

AY025559 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:49 pm
Hi,

I am planning to make an early naturalisation application and would like an opinion.

My passport got damaged last week and I have been advised by the embassy that I will not be able to get another passport in the foreseeable future due to political reasons as they have stopped issuing new passports worldwide. I was told that I could instead apply for Home Office travel document.

I was granted ILR in November 2023 and I believe I am not eligible for citizenship yet. However, I did some research and the guidance states that discretion can be applied. I have been living in the UK for the past 11 years with my family and currently a medical student.

Should I wait till November and apply or make an early naturalisation application and request discretion?

I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you
If there is no urgency about travelling or need for it will suggest you wait before applying.

AY025559
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by AY025559 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:22 am

Thanks for your replies.

Well I had couple trips planned with friends later in August and December. But I would presume that doesn’t warrant urgency?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:15 pm

AY025559 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:22 am
Thanks for your replies.

Well I had couple trips planned with friends later in August and December. But I would presume that doesn’t warrant urgency?
Better to wait for this to be sorted.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:20 pm

AY025559 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:22 am
Thanks for your replies.

No issue for the trip in December if you apply in November - naturalisation is not an immigration application and you will be able to travel after you submit. Unless the trip in August gets you over the threshold of absences, best to wait until November rather than having to go the extra mile and possibly raising eyebrows.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AY025559
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by AY025559 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:10 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:20 pm
[quote=AY025559 post_id=2167308 time=<a href="tel:1718446958">1718446958</a> user_id=290380]
Thanks for your replies.

No issue for the trip in December if you apply in November - naturalisation is not an immigration application and you will be able to travel after you submit. Unless the trip in August gets you over the threshold of absences, best to wait until November rather than having to go the extra mile and possibly raising eyebrows.
[/quote]

Thank you for your advise but I think you misread it.

So the issue is that currently I don’t have passport and I cannot get another one from my birth country. I was thinking whether it’s worth to apply for naturalisation and request discretion on the fact that I cannot travel.

The guidelines on discretion states that the period of limited leave was between 10 and 90 days at the beginning of the 12-month period, and the applicant:
• meets all the other requirements
• has strong links with the UK through having established their home, property and family here

The opinion so far I have received is to wait and cancel my trips until I naturalise within the normal 12 months ILR without submitting early naturalisation application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:28 pm

Citizenship applications can take up to 6 months, sometimes longer and therefore likely impossible for you to travel in August and December anyway.

You can only apply for a British passport once you have attended your ceremony. In peak periods, passports can take a few weeks.

There is no quick route or process for citizenship.

It is as simple as you either meet the requirements or you don't. Your risk of applying earlier be of no benefit to you, UKVI could simply put your application in a pile and wait till November when you do meet the requirements, or simply refuse your application for failing to meet the 12 months on ILR requirement.
I was thinking whether it’s worth to apply for naturalisation and request discretion on the fact that I cannot travel.
How is this even remotely an urgent or compassionate/compelling reason? Your difficulty in being able to travel or resolve your foreign passport issues is nothing to do with UKVI and the process for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:38 pm

It is recommended you don't make travel plans if you can't secure a passport from your country of birth. You will be able to apply in November and in 2025 at some point you will get a UK passport once you application is successful. It wouldn't be viable for you to get approved in time for August even if you applied now.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AY025559
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by AY025559 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:53 pm

Okay I will apply in November instead. Thank you very much for all the advises :)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:56 pm

Let's look at it realistically.

A quick assessment of a naturalisation application would take 2-3 months. If successful, you'd then have to wait for at least 3 weeks for the citizenship ceremony, assuming again that you get one quickly or that you go for a private citizenship ceremony (which costs more). A typical first British passport typically takes about three weeks.

So, at the very least, assuming that every stage goes smoothly (best case scenario), you are looking at a minimum of at least 3-4 months before getting a British passport. So that August trip is out of the window at the very least.

Now assume that you apply for discretion. If you look at most caseworker guidance, any exercise of discretion requires the application to be escalated to senior caseworkers, which almost certainly adds time to the best-case scenario above.

Added to that is the fact that you have lived in the UK for 11 years. There is that much more history for the caseworker to go through. That can slow down your application whenever you apply.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

AY025559
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by AY025559 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:26 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:56 pm

A quick assessment of a naturalisation application would take 2-3 months. If successful, you'd then have to wait for at least 3 weeks for the citizenship ceremony, assuming again that you get one quickly or that you go for a private citizenship ceremony (which costs more). A typical first British passport typically takes about three weeks.

So, at the very least, assuming that every stage goes smoothly (best case scenario), you are looking at a minimum of at least 3-4 months before getting a British passport. So that August trip is out of the window at the very least.

Now assume that you apply for discretion. If you look at most caseworker guidance, any exercise of discretion requires the application to be escalated to senior caseworkers, which almost certainly adds time to the best-case scenario above.

Added to that is the fact that you have lived in the UK for 11 years. There is that much more history for the caseworker to go through. That can slow down your application whenever you apply.
Thanks and I appreciate your advise. I will just wait till October and apply near that time.

SupperDog
United Kingdom

Post by SupperDog » Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:30 pm

secret.simon wrote:

Just want to correct something - To exercise discretion of the 12 months free of immigration control requirement, no higher level of caseworker is required. The cases which need a higher level of decision-makers are listed in the official level of decision-making guidance.

Applying early won't delay the application.

AY025559
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by AY025559 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:55 pm

SupperDog wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:30 pm
secret.simon wrote:

Just want to correct something - To exercise discretion of the 12 months free of immigration control requirement, no higher level of caseworker is required. The cases which need a higher level of decision-makers are listed in the official level of decision-making guidance.

Applying early won't delay the application.
Thank you!