ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return of BRP vs. retain for child's eligibility for UK citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ktyagi
India

Return of BRP vs. retain for child's eligibility for UK citizenship

Post by ktyagi » Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:21 am

Hi Everyone,
Just got my naturalisation application approved and waiting for ceremony now. The email says that I should return my ILR BRP after cutting in half for secure destruction or I would risk incurring a fine. But from what I understand, after reading on this forum in some thread, that I should keep this ILR BRP for life because that is the only solid proof I have for my child who was born when we already had ILR and because of that they were eligible for British Citizenship!
So am confused, should I keep or return my BRP. If Home office expect people to show an old BRP as a proof for a child's UK citizenship then they should not be asking it back and threatening us with a fine!

Also, I have got an email from eVisaDirect to register to get my eVisa to replace ILR BRP. Would eVisa be a better alternative for future proofs than the BRP?

Cheers

vinny

Re: Return of BRP vs. retain for child's eligibility for UK citizenship

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:44 am

Keep it.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Return of BRP vs. retain for child's eligibility for UK citizenship

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:17 pm

Keep the BRP. No need to concern yourself with an eVisa account as you are a British citizen now.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.