ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student in the UK can get married?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Maria30
Newly Registered

Student in the UK can get married?

Post by Maria30 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi,

My name is Maria. I have got a student visa for 4 years in the UK since 2007.
I live with my boyfriend in Northern Ireland. He is Irish and he has proposed marrying me last year when we were on holidays.
I have accepted but I don't really know how does it work as I have registered myself in the University however I haven't been attending as he had to move to another location and I decided to move in with him. Leaving college.
My family sends me money and he has a ltd company but as far as I am aware of the UK laws I should be studying for my visa to be validated. I know I have to apply for a permission to marry in the UK but I'm affraid they would just deny it.
My family is planning to come over for the occasion but I don't really know what to do.
My partner said that as he is Irish we can get married in Ireland and transfer our marriage to the UK. And we wouldn't need to have residency in Ireland because the law has changed in Nov 2007. Would that be possible?
We are planing to buy a house together but I am not allowed as I don't have permission to stay in the UK as much as I want.

Could anyone help me please??

Thank you,

Maria

dildarya
Newly Registered

Re: Student in the UK can get married?

Post by dildarya » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Maria30 wrote:Hi,

My name is Maria. I have got a student visa for 4 years in the UK since 2007.

Maria

Hello
As for as I am aware about this ....to marry with any UK resident shouldn't be a problem for you if your current status is legal (not visitor).As you mentioned ,you got a 4 yrs visa in 2007 so you are still legal.
Look at this page

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/policy ... _partners/

If you are in Northern Ireland then same(UK) rules apply on you that you apply to Home Office for Certificate Of Approval, you can find detailed information,guide and application form, COA here

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visit ... fapproval/

Once you get this certificate then you need to give a notice to the council registrar for your marriage.
About your mortgage,according to my information,
If any has at least 2 yrs visa remaining on any category then he /she is allowed to have mortgage.....Lender (bank or building society) terms and conditions still apply.

goodluck

manjit14
Newly Registered

Get a solicitor

Post by manjit14 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi Maria,

Your's a very straight-forward case, he is Irish and hence from EU, u have nothing to worry about, please get in touch with a solicitor, he might charge you 3-400, but you will have peace of mind. You have no chance of getting a refusal, about buying a house, DON'T BUY A HOUSE IN 2009, EVERY SINGLE HOUSE IN UK IS LOSING VALUE BTWN 2-4000£ EVERY MONTH. Sorry added the real estate advice as well.