ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child travelling while Naturalisation application pending

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aben
United Kingdom

Child travelling while Naturalisation application pending

Post by aben » Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:40 pm

Dear All,

I applied for the naturalisation for my family in early January 2024 and waiting for the approval. When I requested the status they mentioned the following in the email.

does the following mean My son cannot go abroad with his Sri Lankan passport? while he is abroad if it gets approved he cannot back to UK? Please advise

However, if you have also applied for your child to be registered as a British citizen and their application is approved whilst you are abroad, your child will be unable to use their Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) to return to the UK as it will be no longer valid because they will have acquired British citizenship. In these circumstances you would need to apply for a British passport for your child to use to travel back to the UK. Information on how to do this,

Thanks in Advance
Aben

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Child travelling while Naturalisation application pending

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:02 pm

If child has a valid BRP at the time of return travel the airline will allow the child to board. Just like adults. They wouldn’t know who’s been granted citizenship. At the UK border you can explain. Note that a British citizen cannot be refused entry to the UK, even without British passport.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

HA_scot
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by HA_scot » Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:16 pm

Hi Alterhase58,

I am in the same situation as aben. My child got the citizenship certificate while they are abroad, now I have applied for their British passport online since I am in the country. The problem is that I do not have my child's foreign passport with me at the moment so I used a photocopy of it for the passport application with a cover letter explaining our circumstance. Do you think HMPO will issue them a British passport? My child's BRP is valid till the end of this year.

Cheers!
alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:02 pm
If child has a valid BRP at the time of return travel the airline will allow the child to board. Just like adults. They wouldn’t know who’s been granted citizenship. At the UK border you can explain. Note that a British citizen cannot be refused entry to the UK, even without British passport.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:23 pm

Same advice applies to you. A British citizen cannot be denied entry at the border. However please note that it is considered rude to ask your question under another member's thread.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

HA_scot
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by HA_scot » Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:29 pm

That is reassuring. Thank you for sharing and I sincerely apologize for hijacking this post. This is the first time I use this website.
contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:23 pm
Same advice applies to you. A British citizen cannot be denied entry at the border. However please note that it is considered rude to ask your question under another member's thread.