ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FBR pre Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act of 1935

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

David007
Newly Registered
Wales

FBR pre Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act of 1935

Post by David007 » Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:31 am

Hi

Did post earlier this week but not the best news. However, just out curiosity. This only occurred to me whist looking at my father birth certificate.
My Great Grandfather: (Born Ireland 1880) Born in Ireland, thus an Irish citizen by birth.
My Grandmother: (Born 1909 (UK) Acquired Irish citizenship by descent from her father (my great-grandfather).
My Father: Born in the UK in 1932 to an Irish mother (passed 2013)
Under the rules at the time, a child born outside the Irish Free State (in my case, my father born in the UK) to an Irish mother would be considered an Irish citizen by descent?).
The relevant laws prior to the 1935 Act did not have the formalised structure of the Foreign Births Register as it was later established.

Is it right that Foreign Births Register was introduced by the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act of 1956. Before this, the process for recognising foreign births to Irish citizens was less formalised.
Since my father was born in 1932, the Foreign Births Register did not exist at that time. The requirement to register births of descendants born abroad would only have come into effect later.

My Father's Situation
Born in 1932:
As my father was born before 1935, the Foreign Births Register did not exist, and the 1935 Act did not immediately affect him?
He would be considered an Irish citizen by descent from his Irish mother under the laws in place at the time?
Retrospective Application for the FBR
Posthumous Registration:
Is it possible to apply posthumously to register a deceased person's birth in the Foreign Births Register, (I have all the documents).

Thoughts would be welcome
Thanks David

KyukChick
Kenya

Re: FBR pre Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act of 1935

Post by KyukChick » Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:43 am

Per https://www.ireland.ie/en/dfa/citizensh ... ligibility, your grandmother was automatically an Irish citizen by virtue of her father having been born in Ireland. Note that FBR is not a requirement, and your father would have needed to exercise his right to FBR in order for the State to recognise him as being of Irish descent. I don't believe it is possible to apply for FBR on behalf of someone (let alone one who is deceased) as you would be exercising the right without his approval.
That being said, it may be best for you to engage an immigration lawyer (I don't know any, and this forum wouldn't allow for me to recommend one anyway) to make special application to the Department of Foreign Affairs on the basis of the geomapped farm and all other info you have. It is not encouraging that the DFA guidelines for FBR only reference the relationship up to grandparent born in Ireland, but in Ireland they say God loves a trier 🤓

corky100
United Kingdom

Re: FBR pre Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act of 1935

Post by corky100 » Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:36 pm

You previously mentioned your partner is an Irish citizen. Marry and move to Ireland for 3 years.