ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

continuous residence requirements

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

asakhan
Newly Registered
India

continuous residence requirements

Post by asakhan » Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:03 pm

Hi,

I am originally from India, I am working in the UK as a skilled worker for the last 2 years, my company is currently doing a project in India and they want me to work on the project, If I accept the project I will be spending at least 1-2 year in India, I will be visiting the UK few times during this period, I want to know how this will affect my ILR application if I will be eligible or not? Is the time spent outside UK for company work counts towards continuous residence?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: continuous residence requirements

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:27 pm

You won't be eligible for ilr.

You cannot have more than 180 days absence in any rolling 12 month period regardless of reason for absence.

Also, if you are working in India, then you don't need a Skilled Worker visa.

Continuous residence is UK Residence only. It has nothing to do with working abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: continuous residence requirements

Post by zimba » Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:06 am

If an employee can work mostly remotely, then that might suggest there was no good justification for them to be brought to the UK. They can work overseas for the firm without the need to be here. Your sponsor has duties they need to comply with. Working with little or no requirement to attend work premises or a client site may suggest it is not a role that needs to have an overseas worker in the UK and the sponsor may be questioned on this. If your sponsor has not reported your working arrangements via SMS, their licence might be at risk.

Note that the official 'Sponsor duties and compliance' document says the following:
You must, however, tell us, via your SMS account, if any sponsored worker
is, or will be, working entirely remotely, with little or no requirement to attend
your premises or a client site (a contractual home worker). In these cases,
we reserve the right to ask you to explain why you need to sponsor the
worker to come to the UK if (for example) they could work remotely from
their home country.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 4_v1.0.pdf
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice