ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Inquiry: Residency Beyond 90 Days and Financial Requirements for EU Citizens in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

svobodad
Newly Registered
Czech Republic

Inquiry: Residency Beyond 90 Days and Financial Requirements for EU Citizens in Ireland

Post by svobodad » Fri Aug 09, 2024 1:10 pm

Greetings,

I am seeking guidance on the process of obtaining residency in Ireland beyond the initial 90-day period.

I am a Czech citizen currently living in Prague and working remotely as a self-employed contractor for an English company. My partner, who is presently unemployed, and I are planning to move to Ireland later this year with the intention of settling there permanently.

We have a few questions regarding the residency process for EU citizens, specifically after the initial 90 days of our stay:
  • Residency Beyond 90 Days: As EU citizens, are we allowed to stay in Ireland for more than 90 days with my self-employed status and sufficient income, while my partner searches for employment after our move?
  • Sufficient Resources: What is the specific amount of funds required to demonstrate “sufficient resources” for residency?
  • Health Insurance: What type of health insurance coverage is necessary to meet the residency requirements? Are there any specific policies or minimum coverage levels we should obtain before our relocation?

We aim to ensure that we have all the necessary documentation and arrangements in place to avoid any issues with our residency status after the initial 90 days. I am unsure if my partner will find a job in Ireland within 90 days, so to avoid stress, we would apply for residency based on sufficient funds.

Thank you for your assistance. We look forward to your guidance to help us prepare for our move.

Kind regards,
Dimitrij and Roman.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Inquiry: Residency Beyond 90 Days and Financial Requirements for EU Citizens in Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:49 pm

svobodad wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 1:10 pm
Greetings,

I am seeking guidance on the process of obtaining residency in Ireland beyond the initial 90-day period.

I am a Czech citizen currently living in Prague and working remotely as a self-employed contractor for an English company. My partner, who is presently unemployed, and I are planning to move to Ireland later this year with the intention of settling there permanently.

We have a few questions regarding the residency process for EU citizens, specifically after the initial 90 days of our stay:
  • Residency Beyond 90 Days: As EU citizens, are we allowed to stay in Ireland for more than 90 days with my self-employed status and sufficient income, while my partner searches for employment after our move?
  • Sufficient Resources: What is the specific amount of funds required to demonstrate “sufficient resources” for residency?
  • Health Insurance: What type of health insurance coverage is necessary to meet the residency requirements? Are there any specific policies or minimum coverage levels we should obtain before our relocation?

We aim to ensure that we have all the necessary documentation and arrangements in place to avoid any issues with our residency status after the initial 90 days. I am unsure if my partner will find a job in Ireland within 90 days, so to avoid stress, we would apply for residency based on sufficient funds.

Thank you for your assistance. We look forward to your guidance to help us prepare for our move.

Kind regards,
Dimitrij and Roman.
from here
Worker status and former worker status
If you are an EEA or Swiss citizen, you can stay in Ireland for up to 6 months if you have moved here and are looking for work. You can transfer your unemployment benefit from your country of origin and it will be paid to you in Ireland for up to 3 months (can be up to 6 months in some cases).

You have a right to live in Ireland if you are working.

In EU law, a worker is any person who undertakes ‘genuine and effective’ work for which they are paid under the direction of someone else. You do not have to be earning over a particular amount, or working a particular number of hours per week, to be an EU worker.

You are also legally resident in Ireland if you are self-employed and your work is ‘genuine and effective’.

If you have lived in Ireland as an EU worker or self-employed person for 5 years, you have a permanent right of residence in Ireland.

There is information on 'sufficient resources' here, but they are only very loosely applied to EU citizens. In practice, you won't be asked about this. Information from here:

People with ‘sufficient resources’
You can live in Ireland for as long as you have enough money to support yourself and your family, and you have comprehensive health insurance.

There is no fixed amount of money needed to show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family.

This category often applies to pensioners who decide to live in Ireland and who get a pension from another country that is enough for them to live on.

Health insurance is listed in the requirements above, but typically it isn't checked unless you are applying for permanent residency after 5 years, when proof can be requested. Compare health insurance on this site: https://www.hia.ie/ Hospital and ancillary cover is usually regarded as comprehensive, but many people only get hospital cover and find this is accepted.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Inquiry: Residency Beyond 90 Days and Financial Requirements for EU Citizens in Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:07 pm

Hi,

I am guessing your partner is an EU citizen so you skip the EU Treaty Rights Unit/IRP and you don't need to register your residence.

Your only problem will be about apartments and jobs.

Bare in mind there is a problem with getting accommodation especially self contained apartments/houses and as you are working remotely (disregard if it's an Irish company) landlords will be wondering about future rent payments.

Best you come on visit, check apartments, secure one, then make the final move quickly.

Or if you have enough money book an airbnb for some months, make sure the landlord will issue you the landlord confirmation letter then gradually look for a real apartment.

**The intreo office will need proof of residence to issue your partner the PPSN/PSC. Without PPSN your partner will be charged 40% emergency tax until she is provided one (will be refunded later). I believe you also need PPSN even if you work remotely outside Ireland. You have to ask Revenue more about the taxes.

Some jobs can also refuse to employ your partner without PPSN or Irish bank accout.

**Getting a job is very hard nowadays even for commuting towns near Dublin unless your partner has some sort of Diploma or Degree. If not she will end up with low skilled jobs. Which is even hard to get nowadays or will end up in something she dislikes.

svobodad
Newly Registered
Czech Republic

Post by svobodad » Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:08 pm

Thank you for the information. We have reviewed the page and would like to understand more about how the process works in practice. We previously had a negative experience in Spain, where we were required to show proof of €7,000 per person in a Spanish bank account. However, we were unable to open a bank account without a residence permit, which forced us to leave the country before the 90-day limit and cancel our rental contract. We would like to avoid a similar situation in Ireland.

To clarify, once we move to Ireland as EU citizens, is the correct process to rent a flat, obtain health insurance for one year, acquire a PPS number, and then apply for residency within 90 days? Additionally, as a remote consultant, should I register as self-employed in Ireland before registering with the authorities, or can I continue working remotely and pay taxes in the Czech Republic for a couple of months before I become a tax resident in Ireland? Usually, a person becomes a tax resident after 6 months of living in one place.

Thank you in advance,
Dimitrij.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:18 pm

I have answered you in my first post about apartments and PPSN.

In Ireland they don't have residence registration for EU citizens. Only Non EU citizens have to register their residence permission. You just need to apply for PPSN and you are good to go. For your remote employment, after you have your ppsn, you register for Revenue online account and you register your self employment or send them an enquiry via your account and they will sort you out.

I wasn't trying to turn you off in my earlier post but I know almost about 6 Czech citizens who have returned/returning back to Czech after they were/are done with their degree. So first be very certain of your choice.