ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Impact on US Green Card due to UK job opportunity

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, CR001, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, Administrator

thevar
India

Impact on US Green Card due to UK job opportunity

Post by thevar » Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:09 pm

Hello all,

I received my US green card in Aug 2021. I wanted to inquire about the potential impact on my green ard status if I were to move to the United Kingdom for a job opportunity. At this time, I am uncertain of the duration of my future stay in the US and would like to understand the options available to me. Specifically, I would like to know:

1. How a temporary or extended stay in the UK might affect my Green card status?

2. Any steps I need to take to ensure compliance with US immigration laws during my time in UK?

3. What options exist to maintain my green card status whilst working in the UK?

4. Anything else I need to consider with this potential move?

Thanks in advance for all your guidance.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Impact on US Green Card due to UK job opportunity

Post by Angel99 » Mon Oct 14, 2024 3:05 am

Hi,

To maintain your LPR status, you should stay out of the United States for no more than 12 months (or no more than two years with a reentry permit obtained before leaving the U.S.).

You should have a reason to show you will not abandon your US residence (eg. Mortgages, paying taxes and so on).

Moving from the US to UK will be a dangerous move because there're more opportunities in US than UK. Unless you already have some very decent job with high salary waiting there or you are in some kind of high-demand profession.