ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport application for Son

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mankalp123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

British Passport application for Son

Post by mankalp123 » Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:41 pm

Hi Team,

I have received British passport(via 5 year route) in last year March 2023. My wife and two son's dependent visa is getting expired on Oct 2024. They arrived in Feb 2020 in UK and still not completed continuous 5 years. I have below query related with my son's applications,

1. May I directly apply for British passport for my two son's without applying for ILR and British Citizenship even though they have not stayed continuous 5 years.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Passport application for Son

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:53 pm

Your children were born outside the UK and are expected to hold ILR when they apply for registration as British (MN1) - they cannot apply directly for a British passport. The five years you quote are not applicable to children. Note: naturalisation is for adults.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:59 pm

There is no shortuct for your children.

They are not British so cannot apply directly for a British passport.

They apply for ilr when your spouse does and after that, they can then apply to register as British as the previous poster advised.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Sep 04, 2024 4:59 am

mankalp123 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:41 pm
1. May I directly apply for British passport for my two son's without applying for...British Citizenship....
British passports are only issued to people with British nationality. So, if your children are not British nationals, they can't be issued with British passports.

The only time children acquire British citizenship if if certain conditions are met at the time of their birth. If the conditions are not met at the time of their birth, but at a later time (even just the day after), they (or their parents) need to apply for the child(ren) to be registered as British citizens.

That is to say, there is no automatic acquisition of British citizenship except if certain conditions are met at the time of the birth of the person.

So, in order to apply for a British passport, at an absolute legal minimum, they will need to be registered as British citizens.

If the children were born outside the UK, then, as advised above, they will need to follow the same immigration pathway as the second/less-privileged parent, get ILR along with the second parent and then can be registered as British citizens.

Alternatively, they can be registered as British citizens if they are under the age of 18 and have completed 10 years of residence in the UK with the parents.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mankalp123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mankalp123 » Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:35 pm

Thanks for your quick response. I will apply normal ILR route for my son with wife.