ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP replacement this year

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

margnic
Newly Registered
Australia

BRP replacement this year

Post by margnic » Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:55 am

My BRP was first issued in August 2014 and expired in mid August this year. In June of this year I completed an application for a replacement BRP. As of today, I have not received the replacement card.

Meanwhile, I have applied for, and received, a UKVI confirmation of my immigration status, i.e. "Settled" and I can "travel in and out of the country without having to prove (my) status, as (my) information will be checked automatically".

My question is - am I correct to assume that I cannot travel outside the country until such time as a replacement BRP is issued by UKVI or am I permitted to travel on the basis of my UKVI document that confirms my immigration status?

Thank you

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: BRP replacement this year

Post by Ticktack » Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:35 am

margnic wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:55 am
My BRP was first issued in August 2014 and expired in mid August this year. In June of this year I completed an application for a replacement BRP. As of today, I have not received the replacement card.

Meanwhile, I have applied for, and received, a UKVI confirmation of my immigration status, i.e. "Settled" and I can "travel in and out of the country without having to prove (my) status, as (my) information will be checked automatically".

My question is - am I correct to assume that I cannot travel outside the country until such time as a replacement BRP is issued by UKVI or am I permitted to travel on the basis of my UKVI document that confirms my immigration status?

Thank you
You're free to travel outside the UK. You shouldn't have a problem coming back in.

2 factors in play;
1. You're a non-visa national so you really don't need any visa to enter the UK.
2. You'd be using the e-gates (Aussie flag) when you arrive, so don't need to talk to anyone.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

margnic
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by margnic » Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:40 pm

Thanks ticktock, that's encouraging but I am still a little uncertain. :|

1. Will the e-gate know that we have an e-visa? We have used the e-gate for years now without a problem but now, the difference is that my BRP has expired.

2. I am also concerned about the airlines, an issue that I fully understand you may not be able to help. For example, will British Airways know that I have an e-visa?

Any further information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:23 pm

margnic wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:40 pm
Thanks ticktock, that's encouraging but I am still a little uncertain. :|

1. Will the e-gate know that we have an e-visa? We have used the e-gate for years now without a problem but now, the difference is that my BRP has expired. Firstly ILR is a status. Your BRP is just evidence of it. Same way your passport has an expiry date, that doesn't mean you stop being Australian when it expires. The HO database would always show that you're free from immigration restrictions. It's the plastic that expires, not you *Indefinite* leave to remain. That can be lost in other ways, but expiring of your card isn't one of them. :lol:

2. I am also concerned about the airlines, an issue that I fully understand you may not be able to help. For example, will British Airways know that I have an e-visa? E-visa is new, But I guess they'll know. The most important thing to BA is that your passport allows you entry into the UK. I guess from next year, there might be more scrutiny based on the activation of ETA for non British/Irish citizens. Just the same way the airlines know when you have a ESTA (US) or eTA (Canada) when travelling there.

Any further information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If unsure, go along with your expired ILR.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

chuey603
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by chuey603 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:30 pm

I also applied for my replacement BRP (IRL) in June and no sign of it yet. I'm currently traveling on an expired BRP (but valid settlement status) and hoping for the best. My airline grilled us before we were allowed to check in so I'm a bit worried for checking in for my return flight.

On the way, they asked my husband and child to show their visa and proof of return flights to enter Canada, while still in the UK. I'm Canadian so didn't have to show but on the way back I'm expecting them to ask the same questions to me for the UK when I check in. I'm traveling with a young child so hoping to avoid having to call a manager etc to explain. I'm less worried about the UK border as they will have the info. My evisa is also linked to my Passport. I will have to see an actual person and not use egate as I have a child with me.

chuey603
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by chuey603 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:55 am

The UK government has just updated their guidance for say they are no longer issuing replacements and to prove status online. Keep carrying your physical document, if you have one.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/online-immi ... atus-evisa

I'm not happy I paid to have my fingerprints taken for the renewal/application (My renewal itself was free). They shouldn't have allowed applications if they never intended to fulfill them.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Sep 26, 2024 11:05 am

From a previous post, it seems you already travelled abroad with an expired BRP and had no issues when boarding a flight back to the UK. As Canadian citizens are non-visa nationals, they shouldn't face issues to travel to the UK.

The advice from UKVI about carrying a physical valid BRP when travel internationally at least until 31-12-2024 has been in place for the last year or so. The eVisa system is not yet fully implemented, despite the call for everyone to register.

Today's update still mentions this:
In the future you’ll be able to use an eVisa to travel to the UK
Many airlines staff abroad still have no clue about this system. However, non-visa nationals with recently expired BRP cards should not have any issues.

Regarding the non-issued BRP replacement card due to this, perhaps you might be eligible for a refund? Something you need to double check directly with UKVI.